Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle.

Started by Oldrottenhead, May 20, 2012, 04:46:20 PM

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Migs

All my disco heroes passing on this week.  Only 62 as well.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Rata-tat-tat

A sad day for sure... Robin will be missed... I also found this was very interesting prior to his death...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17798956... He was loved by many!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

cuthbert

A sad day, indeed...  :'(

I discovered and loved the Bee Gees in the early Seventies when I was a kid, and I'd hear songs like this on the radio (featuring Robin on the lead vocal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2shKg3_uWzM

I sort of stopped listening around Saturday Night Fever (only "sort of" - their songs from that period were played regularly on radio for years, and it was difficult to not hear the latest hits). I appreciate some of their songs from that period more now.

One of my all-time favorites by the Bee Gees, from 1969 (Robin Gibb on the chorus):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZsVM04-wrs

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

AndyR

Yep, I've been a Bee Gees fan since 1970 or so as well. The original Bee Gees greatest hits from 1969/70, along with Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison is why I'm a musician now.

The Saturday Night Fever disco stuff was OK (I love Children of the World and Main Course), and I went off them a bit when Spirits came out. But a few years back I collected nearly everything on CD. I still prefer the 60s/early-to-mid-70s material, but everything they turned their attention to has fabulous things hiding in it.

And Robin... :( ... I prefer Barry's songwriting, but Robin's voice was absolutely it as far as I was concerned. I got into rock music later but Robin's voice, and what he got out of it, has always haunted me ever since I started writing songs and singing lead vocals. And he could have been a rock vocalist - listen to "Paper Mache Cabbages and Kings" on "To Whom It May Concern" or "I Can't See Nobody", or the middle break in "Can't Keep a Good Man Down" - when I was getting into rock singers, it was always "oh he's singing like the stuff Robin Gibb does..."

He used to do these "emotion-drenched" middle eights. There'd be one or maybe two on each album. When I was younger and I had "favourite bits" on records, those were the favourite bits on the Bee Gees records. I'm not really aware of any other recordings by any other artist that have affected me emotionally as those bits did and still do.

He's also why I grew my hair - nothing to do with the rock stuff I ended up being involved in, I already had the long hair when I showed up as a Rainbow, AC/DC, Motorhead, Rory, etc fan in 1980 or so.

I don't feel as sad as I was expecting to, I've known it was coming for some time, but I'm pretty bluddy sad about this.

I've got all these tunes going round in my head with Robin's voice on.

RIP Robin.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

Very sad news. Certainly one of the songwriting greats. I can't say that I like all of the Bee Gees songs, but there are certain ones that are pretty monumental - 'To Love Somebody' and 'Islands in the Stream' being good and easy examples to think of. I loved the Saturday Night Fever stuff too, but that's just me, lol. He's left a pretty impressive legacy behind, that's for sure. And these are songs that will live forever.

Facemask93

R.I.P Robin , Three men down , only Barry left , how sad

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

AndyR

Thanks for posting those Cuthbert (couldn't tell what they were when I was at work). Two of my favourites as well. And you managed to find the single version of "I've Gotta Get a Message to You" :) - nearly all copies on best ofs etc are the album version which isn't quite as edgy and so obviously a number 1.

I've still got the 45 that my Dad bought - I wore it out :D. The gorgeous bass-playing of Maurice shows through better, and Vince Melouney's lead guitar in the choruses. Not sure why they re-recorded it, nor why the smoother re-recording is the one that gets everywhere.

This song always sums up "Bee Gees" to me, and it's what made me want to perform and write. "I did it to him, now it's my turn to die" - I was kind of morbid even when I was 7 or 8! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1