USB issues

Started by Hook, May 16, 2012, 05:34:02 AM

Hook

I'm having some issues with my Tascam 004 usb connection. When I hook it up the computer makes that beep sound like it's connected, but the unit doesn't show up as connected. I plugged it through my printer port and the printer said that "device is not communicating". The usb might be the best feature on this machine so I'm a little frustrated, any suggestions?
Thanks

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Flash Harry

It could be a driver issue. Have you connected the Tascam to this computer before? What's the computer type PC/Windows Mac, or linux?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

Its a pc with Windows7 & yes it has worked perfectly up to now. I also have updated to current firmware.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Flash Harry

Ok,

You need to remove and uninstall the drivers as a first step.

In your start menu, right click 'Computer' and select properties.

Click on 'Device Manager' and look for the USB connection to the Tascam. I have shown my iPod connection as an example because I don't have a Tascam.

Right click this item and select Uninstall.

Follow the steps through to complete the uninstall process.

You will have to go through the re installation if the drivers as you did when you first connected the Tascam to get it to work again with your PC.

Good luck.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

Thanks Flash! I'll have to brush with this later. On my phone now about to sing for my breakfast,lunch  & supper  but will try tonight. You are the bomb!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

So i brush as you advise and there is no tascam driver located there under universal serial bus crap...and I can't find any mention of tascam on my computer. I check out there site to look for driver downloads I see nothing that would help and it's to late to call. I want the tracks off the machine so I take out the batteries to get the card, who thought that placement up, and plug it into my computer, retrieve tracks but can't delete them off the card like I do whit usb connection, not a big deal but odd I thought. I put card back in and just for kicks go ahead and try to hook up with usb, low and behold it pops right up. Whatever I did, taking card out, cursing, praying, worked. I went ahead and checked the drivers again still nothing labeled tascam but I do have an additional usb mass storage devise that's only there when the 004 is connected, I guess that's it?
Me, being simple minded, am very content now, but usually these issues don't just disappear!
Thanks for responding with help so quickly Flash.
Rocking on for now!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Flash Harry

Nice one. As with all computers, turn it off and then turn it on again. I forgot the fundamental rule.

Glad you're back and running.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Page 92 of the DP-004 manual says "When this unit is connected to a computer, the computer recognizes it as a removable disk. There is no need for a special driver." And this pdf file says "Special drivers are not required. The devices are recognized as external mass storage devices."

That's true of most USB storage devices. They don't need special drivers as the operating system already includes standard USB mass-storage device drivers. Even the BR-800 and BR-80 don't need special drivers to access their files as a storage device. The included USB drivers are only needed to use the BR as an audio interface or control surface. You should be able to access the BR's files without installing the drivers.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I see that now 64, thanks, but what I want to know is why either taking out the card or taking out the batteries would make a difference in the usb connection?  I had already turned the unit on and off a few times so that wasn't fixing it. Just hooked it up to pull off todays tracks and it poped right up ??? ;D :o 8) ???

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

I don't know. Maybe the card wasn't making proper contact in the slot before? Dirt and debris in the card slot can cause problems. When you took it out and re-inserted it, you could have moved a bit of dirt in the slot so the card was able to make a better connection. Though, if that's the case, it's surprising that you didn't have any trouble recording with that card before you removed and replaced it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website