Song Posting Question

Started by T.C. Elliott, May 05, 2012, 01:01:26 PM

T.C. Elliott

I know we've discussed this several times in the past, but....
I've finally figured out how to host songs off site that is permanent (or at least semi-permanent.) 64g has mentioned in the past that it is better to not upload the songs but to link from off site (but if you don't have that option it'll be okay for now.)  If I edit a post and uncheck the attachment does it get deleted from the songcrafters server? And if not is there anything I can do to delete it?

For instance this song: https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15088.msg188551#msg188551
was uploaded to the site, then I modified the post to link an mp3 from off site and unchecked the attachment. Is this all there is to reducing the amount of memory usage I'm taking up on site? And is it worth going back and doing all the songs I've posted to free it up? (I'm more than willing to do this a bit at a time.)

and finally, if it doesn't get deleted and you have to manually do it, can I just let you know when I'm done with all of them and you can kill anything I've posted all at once? Thanks much for the time/info.

tc aka pigfarmer jr
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on May 05, 2012, 01:01:26 PMIf I edit a post and uncheck the attachment does it get deleted from the songcrafters server?

Yes, the song will be deleted as soon as you uncheck it and save the edited message.

QuoteFor instance this song: https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15088.msg188551#msg188551
was uploaded to the site, then I modified the post to link an mp3 from off site and unchecked the attachment. Is this all there is to reducing the amount of memory usage I'm taking up on site?

Yep. It's gone. In fact, if you click on it in the Under2Fest jukebox, you'll see that it no longer plays. That's because the jukebox is still looking for the old file which no longer exists. I'll fix that today so that it uses the offsite file.

QuoteAnd is it worth going back and doing all the songs I've posted to free it up? (I'm more than willing to do this a bit at a time.)

It's up to you. The space it will free up probably isn't a huge piece of the total space currently being used (almost 32 GB), but every little bit helps.

There are pros and cons to hosting your files offsite:

Pros:
  • Doesn't use Songcrafters server space
  • Your files aren't limited to 6 MB anymore so you can use higher bitrates for better sound quality, especially on longer songs.
  • The location of the MP3 player in your message is no longer restricted to the end of the message. It will appear wherever you insert the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags in your message. This allows you to include additional text or pictures after the MP3 player. That isn't possible with attached MP3 files because the MP3 player will always be the last thing displayed.

Cons:
  • Offsite songs are currently not added to your personal jukebox, Latest Songs, On This Day, or Overlooked Gems jukeboxes. I hope to fix that someday but I don't know exactly when.
  • They can be added to the festival jukeboxes, but it isn't automatic. So, when you first change your song from an attachment to an offsite file, any festival jukeboxes that include your song will no longer play it. I can fix it easily enough but you should send me a PM with a link to the song post. Otherwise, I may not notice that it's been changed. Of course, new songs that you host offsite won't have this problem because I'll use the offsite URL for the festival jukebox right from the start, so there's nothing to be changed.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website