**Roland GR-55**

Started by Burtog, May 03, 2012, 06:09:47 AM

Burtog

Gas attack!

I know this unit was mentioned in the NAMM thread but I have been looking a little closer at it recently, I think it looks amazing.

Does anyone on here have one,..............if so can they review it.

I can imagine this would be a gret recording tool, especially for those of us who can't play keyboards.

The only bad sounds to me are the Brass sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_wGIbgQ0hE
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Alex Hutchings makes anything sound good.  It looks like a real nice unit.  I have the older GR-20 and use it with my godin xtSA.  I would rather have this unit because it has the usual synth stuff, but this one has a lot more standard guitar stuff.  I escpcially like the ability to tune each string, so you can create any tuning on the fly.  I really like this unit.  I would happily trade my GR-20 for this unit.  Big money, but looks worth it to me.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

You might want to book a free demonstration at a Roland Planet store Saturday, May 12th.

http://www.roland.co.uk/planetsaturday/

You'll be able to find out a lot more about it there. Perhaps it will be Alex Hutchings himself demonstrating the GR-55. That would be something to see!

If you go, we'll expect a full review of the demo. ;)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

That unit looks sweeet! Yeah the brass thing is kinda lame. I think only Alex can pull that
off! Like BB said..he can make anything sound amazing. I didn`t even know he was a
hockey player too. and a bruiser! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzeQkJJzmCM
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Burtog

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 03, 2012, 08:05:33 AMAlex Hutchings makes anything sound good.  It looks like a real nice unit.  I have the older GR-20 and use it with my godin xtSA.  I would rather have this unit because it has the usual synth stuff, but this one has a lot more standard guitar stuff.  I escpcially like the ability to tune each string, so you can create any tuning on the fly.  I really like this unit.  I would happily trade my GR-20 for this unit.  Big money, but looks worth it to me.

Bluesberry - what do you reckon to the GR-20, is there any lag issues?? I was interested in the Piano/keyboard stuff, have you done any songs using it??

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 03, 2012, 08:24:44 AMYou might want to book a free demonstration at a Roland Planet store Saturday, May 12th.

http://www.roland.co.uk/planetsaturday/

You'll be able to find out a lot more about it there. Perhaps it will be Alex Hutchings himself demonstrating the GR-55. That would be something to see!

If you go, we'll expect a full review of the demo. ;)

If only,.............the wife's birthday on the 12th so no chance  :-\
recorder
Boss BR-800

Facemask93

Burtog , i bought one of these last year , i couldn't wait to get it home , then disappointment set in almost immediately , it is a very complex unit that needs a lot of time to get the best out of it , the patches that come with it are so over the top they are useless , the amount of false notes i got was ridiculous , i found it so frustrating i sold it on Ebay & i don't miss it one bit

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

AndyR

He makes it look quite groovy, but they just don't grab me. I tried the early Roland stuff back in the early 80s, I was well excited about it then because I wanted piano like Freddie Mercury and couldn't play keys.

But I couldn't afford it then and somehow never got round to following up. Somehow I ended up buying a cheap Yamaha keyboard 10 to 15 years ago. I found it really isn't that difficult to learn to play keyboards enough for recording purposes (and that was in the days of 4-track cassette recording for me, without all the editing and trickery I can apply now :D). After I'd done that I've never really thought of a guitar-synth since...

It's up to the individual, really. But I'd ask any guitarist "Do you want this for performance or because you want access to synth sounds for recording?". In my experience, if it's the former then go for it... but if it's for recording, consider getting a keyboard instead, it'll be cheaper, it isn't as difficult as we imagine, and will really expand your brain musically.

But, when the GAS hits, it hits - he does make it look like a fab piece of kit to play with... If someone brought one round and left it here, I definitely wouldn't be playing anything else for a week or so. I wonder whether I'd still be using it after a month, though... but I'm a guitarist who's already forced himself to play keys. If I hadn't done that already, I might be in trouble with the GAS too!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Facemask93

I'd say go and try one , most stores now have one available for trying , especially if they are a Roland planet dealer , I have a PRS singlecut SE , & the only two options you have fitting the GK3 pickup is to drill holes in the body or use double sided tape , and believe me the tape is useless & let's the pickup move about , which ends in more false notes , i talked to the Roland guy at Andertons & it seems the only way is to get fitted  profesionally and set up by them.
Another thing is technique , you cannot expect to play keys on a guitar the same way as you would on a keyboard , you really have to change your whole approach .
Definitely try before you buy
Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Burtog

Rob/Andy, thanks for the interesting comments.

I definately agree try before you buy is a must here. I had read that you need to adapt playing styles to make it work, which I find is part of the interest.

I think if I ever get to the point of buying one I would have to consider an instrument with the built in pick up system but this is obviosuly extra cost again.

I think these units should lower in price a little soon,.........................here's hoping!!

Definately worth a demo soon tho. ;)

;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

AndyR

Quote from: Burtog on May 04, 2012, 08:33:08 AMI had read that you need to adapt playing styles to make it work, which I find is part of the interest.

Now that's interesting (to me anyway :D). Having to adapt my guitar playing style is one of the things that puts me off personally now. But the "thinking like a different musician" does and always has grabbed me - that's why I was interested in one all those years back, and why I went out and bought a keyboard later (the band I was in at the time thought I was crazy - and seemed slightly unimpressed when I started bringing it to rehearsals :D)

Sounds to me like it's definitely worth you trying one out.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1