Making of "Up on Cripple Creek"

Started by Blooby, May 01, 2012, 04:01:21 PM

Blooby

I thought this song was revelatory.  This song never seems cluttered, but there is so much going on.  It's like a five minute class on arranging that's worth years of study.

Blooby

hooper

I love stuff like this. Thanks for posting!
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

T.C. Elliott

I've seen this before but man, I'm glad you posted so I could see it again.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

I love this stuff too. There's a whole series of "Classic Album" videos that document the making of many great albums. Check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=classic+albums

Here's the complete video from which Blooby's clip was taken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV6952QFuh0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AndyR

I can't see streaming links at work (and laptop at home doesn't happily stream them anyway :D). Is this from the Classic Albums TV series? I think I saw The Band episode when it was originally aired in the UK - but I remember it being excellent stuff, all the little background bits about how it happened that musicians like to hear. I haven't got that one on DVD, but I've got several of them:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. I really love that episode, watched it a few times. I never thought much of Lindsey Buckingham until I saw this. There's one bit where he sits in the control room and plays Never Going Back Again, just him and a guitar - that is one talented musician.

Motorhead - Ace of Spades. Really entertaining. They're serious musicians, but they don't take it too seriously, if you see what I mean. Like the Rumours one (and what I can remember about the Band one), you feel like you're getting something more than just some people waffling about what they were once famous for. You can feel the joy and passion that they feel/felt about what they were doing. You don't get a feeling that there's any unhealthy "regret" for either what they did, or the fact that they can't be doing it like that anymore.

Queen - Night at the Opera. Had to have this, but it wasn't as thrilling as I was hoping - maybe it's because I knew most of the info/anecdotes already, being such a Queen junkie :D. It's a pity Freddie was already gone when it was made. There's a few interesting bits with Brian May (possibly on the extras), especially when he's sat there down-tuning the Red Special for White Man - you can see that he's getting his sounds out of the same dodgy un-tunable instruments as we are!

Deep Purple - Machine Head. As a guitarist, I'm there for Mr Blackmore, and he does show up to get interviewed. But the main thing you get from him is he's a seriously weird bloke! (Unless you didn't already know that "that" riff is double-stopping on the middle strings and plucked with fingers a la Mark Knopfler... Possibly worth the price of admission, as a guitarist, if you finally figure that one out from watching this... :D) The Lord, Paice, and Glover stuff is really interesting.

I haven't got Judas Priest's British Steel episode. I saw it when it was aired, and I still might get it, but I thought it was a bit disappointing. For "comic-book" music, which I do love, that's one band that takes itself FAR too seriously :D. I think it was the preparing/filming this that got Mr Halford talking to the rest of them again, but it's still a bit dour.

I'll see if I can hijack the missus's PC over the weekend to watch some of the links :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

launched

Can't wait to see this when I get into better bandwidth.

I saw the Fleetwood Mac episode, also worth watching IMO.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

hooper

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 01, 2012, 08:20:34 PMI love this stuff too. There's a whole series of "Classic Album" videos that document the making of many great albums. Check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=classic+albums

Oh, my........ this is gonna burn up a bunch of time :D
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE