Old Man - andy casson

Started by andy casson, April 22, 2012, 07:22:20 AM

andy casson

Old Man 192kb
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Amazing what you can do while the wife is buying a motorhome!
Old song written in Feb 1987, while at Uni in central London, inspired by the number of homeless on the streets. It was orginally a faster tempo with Moon style drumming, but this slower treatment has been in my head for a while.
I have only done the first two verses as it hit 3.5 minutes

Recorded to Sonar via EMU1616, 2 vox tracks, doubled and panned L&R, 1 Tele, 1 Ibanez bass, some Sonar soundscapes
enjoy  :)

Old Man
Music & Lyrics by Andy Casson
February 1987

There's an old man gently murmuring
To the memories he did tread
And he's haunted by those footsteps
Grandad where is your bed?
Your children did desert you
Cut you with words and you bled
And you bled

Sing it with me papa
It was your life that they bled

City pavement, abstract walking
Your halo has grown pale
Your heroes stand there barking
Unclean! You did fail
You did fail

Sing it with me Mama
It's your hands that they nail

And your children are they dying
For a world full of shade
For an old man slowly dying
For love, to our shame
To our shame

Sing it with me Mama
Without love to our shame

Groundy

Nice one Andy, some great sounds on this, has a bit of a John Lennon style to it. its a good'n.....Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

bruno

Nice one Andy.
Definite 80's vibe about this - reminds me a little bit of Genesis.
B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Gnasty

I like when you redo your older tunes and post. You always bring me to a good place
with your songs. 25 years already. Does it feel that way?
You have so much vox feeling with that slower backdrop. Something i
could never do. I like those doubled up vox and the guitars really kick in at a perfect time.
Awesome song Andy!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Rata-tat-tat

I agree with Eric... Been a fan of your tunes for a long while now. I think you have the greatest vox skills... I'm always amazed at the haunting feeling I get from them vox... You have a very unique vibe goin on that always draws the listener in... That's true artistry in my book... Well done Andy.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Oldrottenhead

panntastic ma heid is spinning. ina guid way. i feel as if im being pushed very fast on a roundabout,

faster faster faster...............................................
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Redler

Quote from: bruno on April 22, 2012, 08:05:34 AMDefinite 80's vibe about this - reminds me a little bit of Genesis.

Totally agree with that.

Fantastic tune and well performed as alaways! The production is superb - sounds very good!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

There's something very edgy and profound about this one. You weave a very heady atmosphere with the arrangement and mixing. Slick, deep, and beautifully done. Love the way it builds up in that epic kind of way.

Hi Andy a serious subject treated with kindness and compassion without being maudlin. Great song.......Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

andy casson

Thanks guys for all the kind comments, Eric glad these songs take you to a good place, Todd, thanks very much fella, Jim, I need some translations from you sometime, though I got FMGWABP...eventually! Thanks everyone, honoured by your great feedback

andy