8 Track Simultaneous recorder

Started by T.C. Elliott, April 20, 2012, 08:24:05 PM

T.C. Elliott

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-r16-multitrack-mobile-production-studio

No idea if Zoom is worth a darn, but $349 US for 8 tracks at once doesn't seem too bad.  I wonder if it could control
reaper. That'd be cool as hell.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

The R16 has a lot of good features for the money. However, there are a few serious limitations too. As far as I know, it doesn't have a drum machine built-in and there's no MIDI to enable you to connect to an external drum machine. And I don't like those 4-segment LED meters. You can't accurately set your levels with only four segments. I like the high-resolution, peak-holding meters in the BR-800 and BR-80.

For $100 more, the R24 might be more practical. At least it has a drum machine. Although, it still has those 4-segment LED meters.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

You make good points. The drum machine isn't a killer for me. I would still do the drums on the br900 if they were fake. I'm unhappy with those drums, however. I know at one time you had links to free on-line drum samples, but I've never imported them to the BR. So I think that's the next step for me.

I've thought about buying some hand drums. There's another cheap set of edrums on craigslist for 150 US. A friend in London offered to some tracking for me and the drummer in my band might be able to do some on the side. None of these options are optimal, but combined I might actually be able to record some music. Okay, this was totally off topic. Drums are more of a mental block for me I think. I want to record an album but know I'll have trouble with the percussion. Actually three albums. *sigh* I need a drink.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

AndyR

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on April 22, 2012, 08:49:26 PMDrums are more of a mental block for me I think.

Join the club :D

64, or anyone, what's the sound like on the zooms when compared to Boss recorders?

I might be daft here, but I felt I "lucked out" when my wife got me an MBR and I discovered that the Boss digital/audio convertors or whatever were very kind to me and my ears. Prior to that, with one or two different soundcard options I'd been getting (in comparison) very average results with PC recording.

So I've developed a kind of phobia around leaving Boss! :D (not that I'm planning on doing so soon, but I read about all these other things, etc...)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

Quote from: AndyR on April 23, 2012, 08:15:57 AM64, or anyone, what's the sound like on the zooms when compared to Boss recorders?

I've never had the opportunity to try one so I can't say from personal experience. I would imagine that the recording quality is just as good as the BRs though. Digital recorders don't vary much in that regard. Where there's more potential for differences is in the effects and the internal mics. Maybe Alfredo (alfstone) will give us his opinion. He has a Zoom R16 but previously had a BR-600, so he can tell us how they compare. Nick/odh also has a Zoom R16, although I don't think he's had any experience with Boss recorders (but I could be wrong).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Krad2004

I have both Boss BR-800 and Zoom R16. I honestly think the R16 is better! I would without a doubt swap my BR-800 for another R16 any day!
BR-800 baby!!!

Geir

Quote from: Krad2004 on October 02, 2012, 06:02:11 AMI have both Boss BR-800 and Zoom R16. I honestly think the R16 is better! I would without a doubt swap my BR-800 for another R16 any day!
I would really like to hear more about that. A comparison of functions and easy of use, the pros and cons of the both and why you find the zoom to be the better choice.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Geir on October 02, 2012, 06:25:13 AM
Quote from: Krad2004 on October 02, 2012, 06:02:11 AMI have both Boss BR-800 and Zoom R16. I honestly think the R16 is better! I would without a doubt swap my BR-800 for another R16 any day!
I would really like to hear more about that. A comparison of functions and easy of use, the pros and cons of the both and why you find the zoom to be the better choice.

Me too... please elaborate...
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Krad2004

Please let me start off by saying I am not bashing the br-800, nor do I hate it. The 800 was my very first multitrack.

Anyways......

BR-800
------------
pros: (in my opinion)

I suppose I should mention the vocal auto tuner and effects, even tho I don't use em.

The acoustic sim is awesome.

RCA outputs (huge help)

I'm sorry, I really can't think of anything else!! I've been sat here looking at this screen for ages trying to think of something..... but I can't.

Cons:

Hardly any logical control when recording. Meaning, if I'm recording drums using the 4 inputs, I'd have to check the sound with headphones straight after while I'm at the studio. There been loads of times I've recorded drums, got the audio to my laptop when I got home and found that its to destorted and couldn't work with it.

Touch Screen!!! It may seem like a good idea at first but when ur there repressing buttons time after time, it gets a bit old!!

I think they are the main two 'killer' cons for me.

R16
---------

Pros:

Total and logical control at recording stage. Back to the drums again. I can go the studio, mic up the kit (with more mics), hit record and know that I'm getting a good and clean sound! As long as I follow a simple and quick level check using the peak indicators and led meters. I don't even need to take headphones.

Easy to transfer files to my computer.

Acoustic and bass sims are amazing.

Guitar and amp sounds are AWESOME!! Especially if your love the METAL!!!! \m/

The ability to connect another R16. Having to press record at the same time is a real pain in the ass!!

BUTTONS!!! A major plus after using touch screen buttons.

I can have all 8 outputs recording to 8 separate tracks in Sonar. Havent been able to so that with the 800 for some reason.

Cons:

No RCA outputs.

The SD card seems to fill quicker but not a major problem.

Err, that it for now, lol.

OVERALL:

The 800 is good but the r16 is better for my needs.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I've missed anything. If you need to know anything specific, just ask :)

BR-800 baby!!!