Started by Hook, April 16, 2012, 08:02:33 PM

Hook

Joey
Time:
0:00
Volume:
GurlFest (banner image missing)

Under2Fest (banner image missing)

Double fester here, the ultimate 80's, rock chick anthem coming in at 1:50. This was recorded "guerrilla style" last Thursday but just getting tracks into audacity for the mix tonight. All done in the front seat of my car with the dp-004 and often running through the ps-02 for effects.
5 tracks total
1 clean rhythm uke direct (004) w/pick up
1 chorus uke
1 lead uke
1 mintycoins lap/drum set (through ps-02 mic w/ reverb)

I mixed/bounced those 4 tracks to a stereo mix (on the 004) thus losing 2 of the original 4, then added

1 vocal (through ps-02 mic w/effect) losing another original track.

I then pulled 3 tracks (stereo mix & vocal) off the 004 in to audacity to mix for this final result. I now think I have figured a way to bounce and not lose original tracks, will use another thread to explain.

Joey
written by Johnette Napolitano
performed by Hook
Rogue baritone uke

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Great cover, Hook! And an excellent song choice. I've always loved this one. It was popular in some places but I suspect that it's the sort of song that didn't make it big worldwide. So, I urge anyone who's not familiar with the original to check it out here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=149.msg187289#msg187289

QuoteDetours and fences

So that's what she's saying! I could never understand that bit. I always heard it as "Pitou's pensive" (anyone who's studied high school French in Canada will probably remember the little dog, Pitou). ::)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

fenderbender

Classy hook -classy
love that uke sound
great vocal -congrats

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

FuzzFace

Wow, great job!
I also love the original.

Your take has a completely different feel.  It's like a different song almost.

Really nicely done.
Makes me want to record more on my uke.

Gritter

A unique take on this. Uke sounds great. I never really liked the song much when it seemed to be everywhere in the 90s but you have given new life to Doughy.

Tony H

Tony

recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

Followed 64G's bump-bait to get here, and glad I did. This is really good ! Of course your voice is a main contributer to that, you have a touch of Elvis Costello in it, but mostly a unique excellent voice of your own.

And I really love the arrangement of this. Not being familiar with the original (other than the listen where I came from) I think *I prefer your version.

Great work !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hook

Thanks guy's for the listen. These covers are helping me get comfortable with the new gear and are just a lot of fun.

64- I always liked this tune alot also, it was huge in the states, way overplayed and it's been in my set list for around 20 years now. She say's  "detours, fences" I added the "and" in there long ago and someone listening actually got mad at me many years ago for adding it, I just think the line needed the extra syllable!

Fuzz- you should, I hardly ever want to pick up my guitar anymore! Uke on!

Geir- Thanks, as a huge EC fan anytime someone hears his influence I'm quite flattered. I never set out to sound or write like anyone but if I could it would be him!

Rock on my friends!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Bluesberry

Yeah, I always liked this one too.  Great video they made for it too.  Yeah, now that Geir mentions it, I can hear the EC a little bit there too.  Great cover.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand