Best Live Recorder?

Started by Roytoy, April 14, 2012, 04:30:10 PM

Roytoy

I have a BR1200, and I feel blessed to have it. It's awesome. However, I would like to make live recordings of my band rehearsals, and I don't want to drag the BR1200 back and forth to rehearsal, for fear of jarring the hard drive during transport. Is there a device out there that will make decent live recordings with a built in mic?
And by "decent" I mean stuff I can use to rehearse at home with, not high quality recordings that I will play for my friends.

Also, if you guys think that I'm over-reacting to transporting my BR1200, I could just use it for this purpose. Comments?
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Geir

I've made 'decent' live recordings of my band with the be800, but I would expect that the be80 would be a better choice due to It's size. and I think the mics are about the same quality. the br80 also can be plugged to the line out of the mixer to give a blend of the Mic and whatever you run through the mixer.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Roytoy

That looks like ORH's way of saying this has been asked a hundred times.... Anyway, thanks for the input, it looks like that micro br and/or br-80 (are they the same thing?) are probably the most portable and versatile recorders out there. Can I transfer stuff from one of those to my BR1200?
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Flash Harry

The BR80 is the new Micro BR. Built in stereo mics whereas the old Micro BR has a single built in mic. Thats not much of a limitation. You can plug a stereo mic into the old Micro BR, however if the mic is plugged in then the line-in input is used and not available for the output of your desk.

You can export the tracks from the MBR or BR80 either as WAV/MP3 exports or using the BR Wave Converter software available from the Roland website as a free download.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=BR-80&id=62121891
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Would you consider a Tascam DR-07 Mk2? Highly portable, very easy to use. Very good recordings and stereo. Can mount on a tripod. Not multitrack but for what you have in mind this would be a very cost effective and portable option.

Roytoy

I actually was thinking that one of those MKII's would do the trick. I'm gonna look into one of those, do some reading on it. Do you have experience with one, Pashmee?
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Oldrottenhead

cant remember my previous post i wonder why? anyway have had experience of live recording with geirs br800 and tharek's br80. if i had the money i'd buy both. currently saving the pennies for the br80 but mrs orh fancies decking in the back garden.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann