Would you let someone else play your guitars?

Started by Greeny, January 23, 2009, 06:44:38 AM

Glenn Mitchell

Ouch! sorry for your loss.
Interesting comment tho. It's no coincidence that the careless ones don't have the money to cover their trail of destruction.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Greeny

A heartbreaking story for those who love their guitars...  :'(

And as this shows, it's not just the expensive ones that you become attached to.

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2009, 04:03:27 PMWhat about when you sell a guitar?

Quote from: Greeny on January 28, 2009, 09:52:28 AMAnd as this shows, it's not just the expensive ones that you become attached to.

Nor just the good ones. I sold a few of my early guitars when I was young and skint and needed the money to pay for a new guitar, and now I wish I still had those guitars even though they weren't particularly good. I miss them. So, now I don't sell any of my guitars when I buy a new one. I may not play the old ones much, but every now and then I get them out when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I especially miss my first electric guitar which was a Silvertone with four pickups and a big rocker switch for each pickup so they could be used in any combination, plus four volume controls and a tone control. It was by no means a great guitar but I wish I still had it. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

upsetminded

My brother in-law, when he moved to NY left me his 3 guitars, his Marshall amp, pre amp and effects board (nice guy).  The weird thing is that he trusts me with nothing else.  Every time I go to visit he insists on teaching me how to turn on and off his faucets properly, use the toilet properly etc.  I guess he's just a nutter.  (And no I've never had a problem with using the toilet so save the comments.) ;)
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

tkofaith

Quote from: upsetminded on January 28, 2009, 10:47:00 AMThe weird thing is that he trusts me with nothing else.  Every time I go to visit he insists on teaching me how to turn on and off his faucets properly, use the toilet properly etc.  I guess he's just a nutter.  (And no I've never had a problem with using the toilet so save the comments.) ;)

It's kinda sick, I know...but maybe he's just taking care of YOUR "equipment" like you're taking care of HIS! ;D
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Oldrottenhead

no one would want to play my guitar lol, couldnae even tell you what brand it is, only has 5 strings at the moment, well for the last six months, and anyway i cannea play to save myself, why do you think i spend so much time singing lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

ianjm

My wife and kids thing I am fuckin nuts because I am so protective of my babies.

Bloody heathens ;D

Pogrom

I hate it when others use my stuff. I honestly don't know why, but I think it's because I had to bust my ass to get that stuff. Well, except for my amps. The guitar amp was my dad's and my bass amp was bought with a credit card. But whatever.
Keep yo grubby ass paws off the moichandize, an I keep my bloody knuckles outta your gob.

So no, I try my best to not have others play my guitars.
"...Let the suicide of music take control..." - Deadsy

Wiley

I have a Gibson Les Paul bass, probably purchased around 1975 by me (giving away age) and I have let people play that I think I can trust.  The crowd is worse. They have fell on us and nocked both of us down a time or two.  Case is like Red Green, Duck taped to hold together has been around a while also have yamaha acoustic bass and yamaha acoustic guitar and friend and myself play around the campfires all summer long.  What are guitars for if we can't play and enjoy.  Just so it doesn't go in the fire.  LOL

marcus_gloom

I remember a few years ago when a friend and i were jamming on a backyard playing rock music when the strap came loose, damaging the finish on my 1st electric ever.

We were a bit drunk so he was able to hide from me the fact that it fell. 

The next day, I was so angry at my friend I almost wanted to punch him, but i was able to restrain myself. realized he didnt mean it.

I am really a cool and patient guy but that incident brought out the nasty guy in me 

So, i learned a few lessons:

1) Buy and install strap locks ASAP 
2) Easy in the drinks and "horsing around" when playing guitar