What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

chapperz66

Mutatas Mutandis by Ronnie Montrose.  An underated guitarist if ever there was one.

Paul

Blooby

Quote from: chapperz66 on February 24, 2010, 01:35:20 PMMutatas Mutandis by Ronnie Montrose.  An underated guitarist if ever there was one.

Paul

The background singing on that tune cracks me up.  I loved his Speed of Sound disc.  And I've wanted to cover early Montrose's version of "Good Rockin' Tonight" for as long as I can remember.

Blooby

Migs

Quote from: Blooby on February 22, 2010, 08:51:52 PMMigs, I need to break that one out as I haven't listened to it for years.
The Jarrett or the AC/DC Live, Blooby?

If the Jarrett, my brother tells me he just picked up a new (released late last year) live CD set recorded at concerts in London and Paris the year before.  He said it is very good.  I might track it down and give it a listen.  I just can't see it being better than the Koln Concert though.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Ted

Quote from: Migs on February 14, 2010, 05:50:17 PMQuite simply the best piano improv ever recorded.

I've known about Jarret for many years (in particular, I heard that he was kind of a petulant prima donna) but have never known what was the must-have album.  Is this it?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Blooby

Migs, sorry. I meant the Keith Jarrett.  I really like parts of the Koln Concert, but I haven't listened to it in years.  I actually wouldn't even know where to look for it in the collection these days.

Ted, I have heard is was a bit "off" as well, mostly through his affiliation with Miles Davis.

Peace.

Blooby

Migs

Quote from: Ted on February 24, 2010, 04:19:57 PMI've known about Jarret for many years (in particular, I heard that he was kind of a petulant prima donna) but have never known what was the must-have album.  Is this it?

Here is a review of the new Jarrett I mentioned.  http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=34218

You are correct, he is an arrogant prima donna.  There are many stories about his rants at audiences and dummy spits when people have taken photographs of him.  He is a truly great musician but will never go down in history as being a great man.  My guess is that he has Asperger's Syndrome (or something similar) and doesn't do people well.

Having said that, his Köln Concert is nothing short of sublime.  It really is a most amazing journey and package of colours and emotions.  It was recorded in 1975 on a "dodgy" piano because the stage-hands wheeled out the wrong instument (a practice piano rather than the concert piano).

I came across it in the mid 1980s when I was looking for a cross-section of music to roadtest high end hi-fi gear.  I picked this and some sheffield lab stuff which is another story in and of itself.

I have bought 5 copies of the CD over the years - they get lost, borrowed (but not returned) and damaged somehow.  I have listened to the whole CD start to finish probably fifty times and certain tracks or passages countless hundreds of times.

It is a must-have in my book.  I think Köln Concert is the album I would choose if I was stuck on the proverbial desert island (with a CD player and Sennheiser headphones of course).
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

chapperz66

Quote from: Blooby on February 24, 2010, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: chapperz66 on February 24, 2010, 01:35:20 PMMutatas Mutandis by Ronnie Montrose.  An underated guitarist if ever there was one.

Paul

The background singing on that tune cracks me up. 
Blooby

Yeah the "vocals" are a bit tongue-in-cheek but it's a good tune and a fine album.

Gritter

This film and soundtrack really connected with me emotinally. Directed by Spike Jonze and music by Karen O of the Yea Yea Yeas. I  just love it and can't wait until it comes out on DVD...I guess I'm just a big kid.

Melancholy, happy, empathetic, playful, wild...and no guitar solos! (sorry to all all you lead players out there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V35M2lW5mQ

The one cover on the soundtrack is a Daniel Johnston song...He's one my favorite songwriters and a massive source of inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnnwoMeKOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjEnXkaYIIE

chapperz66

Yeah - Andy Timmons.  Really fine player.  Seldom does a week go by without me listening to "Deliver Us."