What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

Ferryman

Quote from: Davo on October 25, 2009, 02:37:52 AMIm huge fan, I wonder what the Brits think of Johnnys little PIL?  Anger IS an energy.

This Brit loves them and has done since "First Issue" in 1978. Jah Wobble's bass, Levene's wall of noise guitar and Lydon's acerbic vocals are hard to beat. But they got even better when John McGeoch was on board, in my opinion one of the the best guitarists in recent history. PiL are one of my fave all time bands.

This is what you want? This is what you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOCIP54PIQ

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: SenhorLampada on October 29, 2009, 09:22:15 PMSorry, Ted! :(

Senhor: Once when I was still in my twenties, some dude made an Opie joke about me, and I laughed.  Then I stopped and marveled that, I'd laughed.  I was officially over my sensitivity about red hair jokes!  It was a moment to celebrate.

Quote from: Davo on October 30, 2009, 01:30:45 AMTed thats a cool song, I wonder what guitar was used for the twangy leads-It sounds like a tele, maybe a strat but not a les paul.

According to the Cracker Web site, this is what Johnny Hickman uses:

Quote from: http://www.crackersoul.org/gear/
  • Gibson Les Paul, approx 78/79 vintage, heavily "modified" with Kehler whammy bar.  The body sports numerous carvings and decorations executed by Johnny himself, most noticeably a number seven, leading to the guitar sometimes being known as the "Lucky Seven" guitar. This is Johnny's main guitar, now used almost exclusively during live performances.  His other Les Paul, with its distinctive fish decoration, perished on tour.
  • Fender Eric Clapton model Stratocaster (rarely used live.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Davo

Nigel I love those guitar tones.  I how they were recorded?  There is a spacey/phase thing happening there, maybe some slight detuning.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ferryman

Quote from: Davo on October 30, 2009, 01:22:19 PMNigel I love those guitar tones.  I how they were recorded?  There is a spacey/phase thing happening there, maybe some slight detuning.

I don't know, it was really the first of that "big" sound so popular in the 80s. I know he used an aluminium guitar (Veleno? or something like that). Pioneering stuff.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Saijinn: I used to have biggest mancrush on Carl Sagan, I just didn't have the word for it.

Every time I visited Ithaca, NY I'd think, Wow, maybe Sagan once ate at this restaurant too!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman on October 30, 2009, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: Davo on October 30, 2009, 01:22:19 PMNigel I love those guitar tones.  I how they were recorded?  There is a spacey/phase thing happening there, maybe some slight detuning.

I don't know, it was really the first of that "big" sound so popular in the 80s. I know he used an aluminium guitar (Veleno? or something like that). Pioneering stuff.

I believe PIL are about to record again. Not with all the proper members intact, but Mr Lydon says he has a lot of lyrical content from his father's death to share with the world. I hope it's not a sad cash-in on former glories. You really can't tell with Lydon, lol. Could be good...

Ted

This song is simply awesome, but the amateur video doesn't do it justice:

You can listen to it here.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

corryhully