What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 03, 2008, 03:40:57 PMBe Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim

Bill Nelson is a great guitar player - and this for me was also a sleeper album. Bought it in the 70s, didn't listen to it much, but then rediscovered on CD a few years ago. It's held up as well or better than some of the other Be Bop Deluxe albums.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

tony

Artie Shaw - 'Someone to watch over me' from the last recordings of the Gramercy Five in 1954.

Don't you just love those records that make you feel, if only for 3 or 4 minutes, like you don't need to listen to anything else?  Artie Shaw was really special and it didn't hurt being married to Lana Turner and Ava Gardner, that would make you feel like making music for a while.

No clips of the song available but this is with the big band in 1940 doing 'Stardust'.  Even if the idiom is not to your liking, hang in there until the clarinet comes around 1:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-dB6qUTGI

Davo

Quote from: tony on October 21, 2009, 03:46:28 PMArtie Shaw - 'Someone to watch over me' from the last recordings of the Gramercy Five in 1954.

Don't you just love those records that make you feel, if only for 3 or 4 minutes, like you don't need to listen to anything else?  Artie Shaw was really special and it didn't hurt being married to Lana Turner and Ava Gardner, that would make you feel like making music for a while.

No clips of the song available but this is with the big band in 1940 doing 'Stardust'.  Even if the idiom is not to your liking, hang in there until the clarinet comes around 1:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-dB6qUTGI
As a soprano sax player-I can say yes, it is all there.  The emotional experience, life, and all the rest.

Just from a different era, thats all.  Also-I love 40's girls.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

tony

Quote from: Davo on October 22, 2009, 01:50:06 AMAs a soprano sax player-I can say yes, it is all there.

You play soprano sax.  I'm jealous.  Simple as that.

Bro

If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Davo

Quote from: tony on October 22, 2009, 05:44:53 AM
Quote from: Davo on October 22, 2009, 01:50:06 AMAs a soprano sax player-I can say yes, it is all there.

You play soprano sax.  I'm jealous.  Simple as that.
You should see my Kenny G. impression.  :)

tony

I was thinking more Sidney Bechet and John Coltrane but I'll take a Kenny G impression.  Everybody has instruments that stand out to them when they hear things and clarinet/soprano sax always gets me.

Davo

Quote from: tony on October 22, 2009, 02:12:53 PMI was thinking more Sidney Bechet and John Coltrane but I'll take a Kenny G impression.  Everybody has instruments that stand out to them when they hear things and clarinet/soprano sax always gets me.
I love Coltrane, but growing up people only knew Kenny G...sigh.  And the instrument that grabs me the most these days is the cello.

Quote from: Davo on October 22, 2009, 01:50:06 AM
Quote from: tony on October 21, 2009, 03:46:28 PMArtie Shaw - 'Someone to watch over me' from the last recordings of the Gramercy Five in 1954.

As a soprano sax player-I can say yes, it is all there.  The emotional experience, life, and all the rest.

Just from a different era, thats all.  Also-I love 40's girls.
I officially hate you davo.
For my money the instrument that does it for me is the oboe.
This is the full choral version of Gabriel's Oboe.  It has everything. Ennio Morricone is nothing short of a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvBT9sqXnew
Migs is posting as Migster while on holidays because he can't access his account.

Davo

The mids of the Oboe are a force to be reckoned with. But id go with the french horn I had to pick symphonic "mids":)  Thats a great song BTW.

I played this one in highschool wind ensemble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbiP5IUPu8s