What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

Zoltan

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

AndyR

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 20, 2021, 09:37:05 PMI saw them again June 12, 1976 at Massey hall opening for Rush on their "2112" tour. Another great performance by Rush, which was recorded for their "All The World's a Stage" album. And by this time, I'd heard some of Max Webster's music on the radio so I think I had a better appreciation of their performance than I did the year before. They put on a very good show.

You're on All The World's A Stage???! Very cool.

After reading that, I spent quite a bit of time seeing if I could find which of the three nights each of the songs came from. They taped all three, but everyone's pretty quiet about what got used. I did find that Neil Peart said he got very frustrated with how the gigs were going, and he had some anger that fed into his playing on the 13th... and they were very pleased to find that came through on the tapes when they were listening back. Kind of points to the 13th being the "good night" of the three sets of tapes... but I'd surprised if the whole thing came from one night. I understand (from that wiki) that some of the other performances made their way onto the 2112 40th Anniversary - but I've not collected those (not true! I've got the Farewell To Kings one because it has the 1978 Hammersmith Odeon gig).

I knew of Max Webster back in the late 70s - and I seem to recall we were listening to some of their stuff, I think one of the guys in our crowd was into them. But I only found out it was a band name rather than an individual's name recently, while reading Martin Poppoff's three volume about Rush (Anthem, Limelight, Driven). I'd been thinking I need to check them (Max Webster) out now.

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

Quote from: AndyR on November 09, 2021, 02:26:37 AMYou're on All The World's A Stage???! Very cool.

After reading that, I spent quite a bit of time seeing if I could find which of the three nights each of the songs came from. They taped all three, but everyone's pretty quiet about what got used. I did find that Neil Peart said he got very frustrated with how the gigs were going, and he had some anger that fed into his playing on the 13th... and they were very pleased to find that came through on the tapes when they were listening back. Kind of points to the 13th being the "good night" of the three sets of tapes... but I'd surprised if the whole thing came from one night. I understand (from that wiki) that some of the other performances made their way onto the 2112 40th Anniversary - but I've not collected those (not true! I've got the Farewell To Kings one because it has the 1978 Hammersmith Odeon gig).

Yes, I was in the audience when some of the songs for All The World's a Stage were recorded. I don't know which songs on the album were recorded on the 12th but I assume that some of them must have been. They recorded all three nights and would have chosen the best takes of each song for the album. So there's probably some from each of the three nights.

I've seen Rush several times. The first time was in 1974 when they played at my high school. I'd never heard of them prior to that performance but they were great and I've been a fan ever since.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AndyR

That is SO cool 64!

I'd heard of them but didn't know much about them back then. This is 1978/9 or so. We had a guy at school (who had access to his Dad's audio gear so he could create LOUD cassettes for us) who was absolutely MAD for them and would never shut up. He went to the 79 gigs in London, sleeping rough (we were Bristol). He was only 16 or so. He got to meet them on their tour bus. He bought a Ric 4001 even though he couldn't play. Boy did we take the micky out of him.

A couple of years later, 83 I think, I bought Archives (first three albums in a gatefold) and All The Worlds A Stage on the same day. The drummer in the band I was in at the time was a HUGE Neil Peart fan and would never shut up. I found these albums on sale, and thought I better check them out. Liked what they were doing, found the short songs more accessible. Found them a bit "squeaky" over all. Actually preferred the older stuff to Spirit of Radio and the Moving Pictures stuff that was going on. Then they went even more "synth" and I paid little attention - a bassist I know had Hold Your Fire and we thought that was cool. I bought Presto, which I still love, but didn't listen to much.

Years later, I found Counterparts in the library. I borrowed it and went "WHOA!"

"It" didn't kick in until around 2009/10 probably.

Sometime around then I thought, "OK, I got that cut down version of 2112 on All The World's... what was all the fuss actually about?" ... so I ordered 2112 on CD. That did it. Within weeks I had EVERYTHING.

There was a period of a couple of years when ALL I listened to was Rush. I had all the studio albums on my personal stereo and I listened to the whole lot on repeat during my commute (1 hour each way) every single day for two years. I bought Clockwork Angels the day it came out. I love the old stuff, the middle stuff, the end stuff. I'm not convinced they needed to bother with the remix of Vapor Trails, but I love both versions. I've got Geddy's Big, Beautiful, Book of Bass.

But I never got to see them. Mrs R did point out they were on sale during the big listening period. But I thought they'd be old and, well, you know... Of course, I've got all the DVDs now, and I can see how wrong I was...

If, at the time, I'd been making her listen to them too, she'd have made us go. As it is, she's heard them now and likes them almost as much as I do. We often have Rush playing all night while we sleep. We both find it relaxing (we tried Roxy Music last night. We both went "NO!" And she suggested Rush instead) ... and if you can't sleep it gives you something to listen to in an engaged way that then drifts you back to sleep.

ANYWAYS - I'd never put 2 and 2 together and connected you up with Rush in my mind.
Yep, BIG fan here, even if I was a bit late to the party.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

Quote from: AndyR on November 10, 2021, 04:48:51 AMANYWAYS - I'd never put 2 and 2 together and connected you up with Rush in my mind.
Yep, BIG fan here, even if I was a bit late to the party.

Well, I grew up around Toronto where it seems like nearly all male rock fans are huge Rush fans. They don't seem to be as popular with the ladies, so it's great that Mrs. R. likes them too. In the amateur bands I was in when I was younger, we covered lots of Rush songs. "Fly by Night", "Beneath, Between and Behind", "Bastille Day", "No One at the Bridge" & "Bacchus Plateau" (both from "The Fountain of Lamneth" on Caress of Steel), and "Closer to the Heart". They were great fun to play. The only trouble we had was that nobody wanted to attempt the vocals. :) So we usually just played the songs without any vocals. We weren't performing to an audience; it was just our weekend jams, so we enjoyed it even without vocals.

My favourite period is the first five albums (up to and including A Farewell to Kings). I have them all on vinyl except 2112 which I bought on cassette for some reason - I wish I'd bought it on vinyl instead. After those albums, I didn't buy as many. I bought Power Windows on vinyl. And I bought "Hold Your Fire", "Roll The Bones", and "Counterparts" on CD. I love "Stick It Out" from Counterparts. It's got such a great riff and I love those dissonant-sounding chords (not sure what the chord names are), as well as the feedback at the beginning and the whammy-bar-rich guitar solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y7FRiVA-TM

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

Loved Rush in high school. I had nearly every Rush 8 track tape. Seen them at the Joe Louis theater. Pat Travers opened. That would have been the Motion Pictures tour around 1981 -82

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

Quote from: guitarron on November 11, 2021, 03:14:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXT1clXc04

I probably listen to them more than Jimmie's little brother nowadays.

I was listening to them all day the other day.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

But, for me, today is Taylor day

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLINj2JJM1jxMjrb29kIR5WixKfVeaOaIT

Red (Taylor's Version)

CD hasn't arrived yet, but it's out, so I'm on youtube still in my pyjamas.

This, on disc2, wooo... (never really warmed to the full version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3mJe28un4M
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

On the album itself... standout for me so far... this.... oh crumbs... loved the original... but this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQfB4Gahi3I

Also, with the new Taylor's Version, I finally get why everyone loved All To Well so much (I've not heard the new 10 minute version yet, not sure how that's gonna work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OQBDdNHmXo
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on