What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

chapperz66

I saw Max Webster live at the Hammersmith Odeon in the late 70's.  They were the support act but I can't recall who tje headline act was. Maybe Saga.

64Guitars

Quote from: chapperz66 on October 20, 2021, 03:43:06 PMI saw Max Webster live at the Hammersmith Odeon in the late 70's.  They were the support act but I can't recall who tje headline act was. Maybe Saga.

They played the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979 on May 4th, May 5th, May 6th and May 7th supporting Rush on their "Hemispheres" tour. They were also scheduled to play the Hammersmith Odeon on Jan 22, 1981 headlining on their own "Universal Juveniles" tour, but the show was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. So I think you must have seen them in May 1979 opening for Rush. Saga did play the Hammersmith Odeon in 1980, 1983, and 1986 but not with Max Webster.

I saw Max Webster at their first theatre gig June 25th, 1975 at Massey Hall in Toronto supporting Rush on their "Fly By Night" tour. That was a great show by Rush. Max Webster was good too, though I wasn't familiar with their music then as their debut album wasn't released till 1976 and I didn't buy my first Max Webster album till 1977 ("High Class in Borrowed Shoes").

I saw them again June 12, 1976 at Massey hall opening for Rush on their "2112" tour. Another great performance by Rush, which was recorded for their "All The World's a Stage" album. And by this time, I'd heard some of Max Webster's music on the radio so I think I had a better appreciation of their performance than I did the year before. They put on a very good show.

And I saw them April 3, 1979 at The Blind Duck pub in the University of Toronto's Erindale campus in Mississauga. Our table was only a few yards from the front of the stage.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chapperz66

You are absolutely right 64 - it was the Rush concert at Hammersmith on Saturday 5th May 1979.  The attached picture of the ticket shows it was £3.50 - those were the days!  Although I can't recall what I was earning back then!  (What a sad person I am for keeping the tickets).

I remember enjoying the Max Webster set - and Rush were pretty good too.

chapperz66

The Saga gig was on Wednesday 9th November - but the year has been torn of the ticket. And no price shown.

64Guitars

Quote from: chapperz66 on October 21, 2021, 05:00:20 AM(What a sad person I am for keeping the tickets).

Not at all. I kept all my ticket stubs too. I also kept newspaper clippings of some of the concerts that I saw.

Quote from: chapperz66 on October 21, 2021, 05:23:40 AMThe Saga gig was on Wednesday 9th November - but the year has been torn of the ticket. And no price shown.

At the Hammersmith? I can't find that on Setlist.fm or Concert Archives, but there was a Saga concert at the Hammersmith on Thurs, Nov 10, 1983. Maybe Setlist.fm has got the date wrong, or maybe Saga played two consecutive nights and Setlist.fm only shows the second night.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mike_S

So this is pretty good... sort of dark prog/metal mixed with Kate Bush type vocals, maybe a touch of King Diamond in there too.

Think I would go see this girl live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0fCpOeIlUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5zhoRBUSbE
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chapperz66

Quote from: chapperz66 on October 21, 2021, 05:23:40 AMThe Saga gig was on Wednesday 9th November - but the year has been torn of the ticket. And no price shown.

At the Hammersmith? I can't find that on Setlist.fm or Concert Archives, but there was a Saga concert at the Hammersmith on Thurs, Nov 10, 1983. Maybe Setlist.fm has got the date wrong, or maybe Saga played two consecutive nights and Setlist.fm only shows the second night.
[/quote]

Yes It was at the Hammersmith odeon and the date stamped on the rear says Wednesday 9th November - although interestingly there is also a very faint stamp saying "Thursday 10" so maybe the date was changed before I bought the ticket.  Perhaps the promoter was too mean to reprint the ticket.  That seems quite likely, now I think about it.

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder