What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

Blooby

The Rory Gallagher Montreux DVDs.  Man, was he ever raw when he played live.  Good stuff.

Blooby

Bluesberry

Quote from: Blooby on June 22, 2009, 05:08:48 PMThe Rory Gallagher Montreux DVDs.  Man, was he ever raw when he played live.  Good stuff.

Blooby
Good one Blooby.  Raw and very good.  Rory Gallagher is my favorite guitarists of all time.  For me he was the top dog out of all those late 60s/early 70s guitar gods.  The best of the best, that is how I see him anyway.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

hooper

Peter Holesapple and Chris Stamey's new CD: Here and Now
http://www.amazon.com/Here-Now-Peter-Holsapple/dp/B00274SILA

Chris and Peter were the core of early 80's power-pop band, The dBs.
Although from North Carolina, I understand that the dB's achieved some level of notoriety in the UK while remaining not as well known in the USA.  This is particularly interesting to me because Chris and Peter were from my hometown of Winston-Salem and we played together in a band for the summer after high school. (1971)

This album is reminiscent of and almost seems like a Part II to 'Maveriks', a now classic 'underground' album that the duo wrote and performed around a decade ago. The songs sound fresh and original but also synthesize and draw upon their broad musical backgrounds with innovative guitar work and appealing harmonies.  You can hear samples at the Amazon link.

Hooper
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Davo

I dont think this one gets the recognition it deserved.  Among the best of the agro-pop era I say.

Found out about you...Gin Blossoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXShNtyvRs

All last summer in case you don't recall
I was yours and you were mine forget it all
Is there a line that I could write
Sad enough to make you cry
All the lines you wrote to me were lies
The months roll past the love that you struck dead
Did you love me only in my head?
Things you said and did to me
Seemed to come so easily
The love I thought I'd won you give for free
Whispers at the bus stop
I heard about nights out in the school yard
I found out about you
Rumors follow everywhere you go
Like when you left and I was last to know
You're famous now and there's no doubt
In all the places you hang out
They know your name and know what you're about
Whispers at the bus stop
I found out about you
Street lights blink on through the car window
I get the time too often on AM radio
You know it's all I think about
I write your name drive past your house
Your boyfriend's over I watch your light go out
Whispers at the bus stop
I found out about you
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ted

Quote from: Davo on June 26, 2009, 06:22:05 PMI dont think this one gets the recognition it deserved.  Among the best of the agro-pop era I say.

Found out about you...Gin Blossoms.

I used to live around the corner from where the Gin Blossoms practiced, in Tempe, AZ.  It was also right near Mrs. Rita's palm reading.

One day I found myself at a friend's house, the sole audience member at a heated debate between the late Doug Hopkins (composer of Found Out About You), my friend Dan, and Dan's roommate Anthony.

The topic being debated:
Which is the Greatest Rock Band of All Time?

There were only three bands in contention that afternoon: The Kinks (defended by Anthony), The Rolling Stones (represented by Dan), and The Who--championed by Hopkins.

I thought it was a ridiculous argument.  Obvously, King Crimson is the greatest band of all time--or so I would have contended at the time, if I hadn't decided to just keep my little Prog mouth shut.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Davo

Ted thats just plain Rock and Roll!

I didnt know he was the primary song writer of the Gin Blossoms.  I do know I love his songs.  That wiki link was fascinating as well.  Its a well established phenominon that success does not mean happiness.

BTW-Have you heard of the band Symphonic Slam?  I met Timo last week, we traded guitar pedals and I got a demo of his playing and he even schooled me on the development of the synth guitar.  He had gold records hanging on his wall, as well as pics with many 70's rock stars.  We probably spent 2 hours talking gear, and songwriting.  He also gave me a CD. 

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=471
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ted

Quote from: Davo on June 27, 2009, 02:46:53 PMI didnt know he was the primary song writer of the Gin Blossoms.  I do know I love his songs.  That wiki link was fascinating as well.  Its a well established phenominon that success does not mean happiness.

By coincidence, the Gin Blossoms are playing tonight in Flagstaff, but I won't be going. Sorry.

Quote from: Davo on June 27, 2009, 02:46:53 PMBTW-Have you heard of the band Symphonic Slam?  I met Timo last week, we traded guitar pedals and I got a demo of his playing and he even schooled me on the development of the synth guitar.  He had gold records hanging on his wall, as well as pics with many 70's rock stars.  We probably spent 2 hours talking gear, and songwriting.  He also gave me a CD. 

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=471

That's cool.  No, I haven't heard of them.  I read the page at the link you sent.  I'll check out the free MP3 when I have a little more time.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SteveB

Listening to this, before I have a root around on the MP3 board.

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Saijinn Maas

Greeny

Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band. An office and personal favourite.

Oh... here comes 'Hotel California' on our digital jukebox. Then 'Islands in the Stream'. I'm such a rocker, lol.