Sounds Of Silence

Started by tlsteel, April 06, 2012, 02:57:54 PM

tlsteel

Cover by Tom Stephens.
"Sounds of Silence" is the song that propelled the 1960s folk music duo Simon & Garfunkel to popularity. It was written in February 1964 by Paul Simon in the aftermath of the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy. An initial version preferred by the band was remixed and sweetened, and has become known as "the quintessential folk rock release".  In the U.S., it was the duo's second most popular hit after "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

Rata-tat-tat

Kewl cover... Not an easy one to cover. Simply wonderful...nice harmonies. Always liked Simon & Garfunkel.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Facemask93

hey , nice cover my friend , those harmonies are sweet , & i like the guitar picking , got that just right

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Tony H

Good work. This holds true to the original in both sound and feel.
Tony

recorder
Boss BR-800

lg

Absolutely agree with all the above comments!
Paul Simon is one of the greatest song writers ever I believe.
Excellent cover Tom!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

launched

Fabulous cover - Sounds great at 80K, too. FYI, a 192 or 224K would fit within the 6mb upload limit.

Anyway, well done, impeccable vocals and instrumentation!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Great cover, Tom. Please tell us a little about how you recorded it. Did you play all of the instruments? Are the drums real, a drum machine, or loops? Which recorder or software did you use? I was surprised at the amount of background noise in the first few seconds and at the end. Almost like tape hiss. We don't usually hear that with modern digital recordings. Or was there some noisey electronics in the signal path?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Rolow

Very good cover man.  Fine job picking the guitar and the harmonies are wonderful.

Well done. ;D ;D
Let it be known, there is a fountain, that was not made, by the hands of men.

andy casson

Fantastic cover, one of my all time fav songs, never had the courage to even try to cover! Loved your vocals and a great mix

bravo!
Andy