At this price these have to be fakes....

Started by Flash Harry, January 22, 2009, 05:07:22 PM

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kody

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Tony

A friend of mine who fixes guitars showed me an absolutely drop dead beautiful Gibson Les Paul recently.  It had the serial number stamped in the headstock or wherever.  Everything looked fantastic.  He pointed out that there was a join in the wood of the neck that Gibson never used.  That was the only thing that gave it away to him and guitars are his job. 

I didn't get to play it but he said that it played really well.  Which begs the question: if they look as good and they play as good ...

Perhaps we should stop calling them copies and start calling them Shakespeares - a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

BossMicroBRew

Anyone on these threads up for a good laugh?? (pfft, what kind of question is that)

Check out this high quality reading material. This is some gut-busting humor, I must say.   --> "This a brand new guitar."

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/bobostarxd/product-detailXMqntUoDJQRe/China-Gibson-Les-Paul-Supreme-Guitar.html
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Greeny

A Brian Setzer Gretsch for under $400... you'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for that!!!! Actually, I'm quite tempted...  :D :D :D :D

Tony

I don't get this.  I bought a Republic parlour guitar around the same time that a friend bought a Larrivee parlour.  Mine was made in China from American drawings.  His was a Larrivee, enough said.  Apart from the fact his has solid back and sides and mine doesn't, we're both fairly sure that mine sounds better.  His will last longer but mine does sound better.  And the Larrivee is a good guitar, it's a really good guitar.  There's a lot of crap out there with fancy names on the headstock and there's a lot with phoney fancy names on the headstock.  I think it comes done to the tone of the instrument and whether or not it feels good in your hands.  I can't say I'm that bothered about where the factory is.

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: Tony on January 23, 2009, 04:10:30 AMI think it comes done to the tone of the instrument and whether or not it feels good in your hands.  I can't say I'm that bothered about where the factory is.

You have a good point. I think there are some great looking acoustics out there that are rather inexpensive and sound awesome. I really don't care where they are made either, except when the brand name is hacked.

As far as the Gibson above, I wonder what steps Gibson is taking to counteract the Chinese forgeries.  >:( In the end, though, the buyer knows what they are looking for. If they fall for a "new Gibson" (or similar scenario) for such a low price, that's their own fault I guess.

If they run a 50% clearance sale on them, though, I'm game, especially if "this style professonal guitar is compelely new and nice."   :P :D :D
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Tony

You just can't beat nice, especially when it comes to music. Just ask Johnnie Rotten. Or maybe The Nice.

beleg

so has anyone bought anything from this site?

Greeny

Quote from: beleg on January 27, 2009, 08:37:14 AMso has anyone bought anything from this site?

Nope. I'm up to my full guitar quota though. Any addition to my other 7 guitars and a bass would be hard to justify  :D :D :D