What pedals would give me (a) MBR's "GRINDER", and (b) MBR's "GARAGE" effects?

Started by FuzzFace, March 30, 2012, 12:24:26 PM

FuzzFace

What pedals would give me (a) MBR's "GRINDER", and (b) MBR's "GARAGE" effects?

...or close approximations.

chip

You could try as I did, using the mbr itself as the pedal. This can be done by connecting it to an amp and connecting your guitar to the mbr as normal. I tried it but couldn't stand it but then I did put it through a 40 year old valve amp. So maybe through a digital, SS amp the result may be better. You then have access to all the effects you want. I put some velcro on the back of the mbr then used my pedal table which had velcro too ( any table would do)which is 4 foot high to play with it. Like I say though far to digital for my ears. I always kept the pedals on the table so I could mess with them in real time while playing without bending down. Alas I don't mess with pedals anymore apart from my blues driver.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

64Guitars

The algorithm for GT34:Grinder consists of the following:

METAL D preamp
METAL speaker sim
Noise Suppressor
Chorus

So my guess would be a Boss MT-2 or ML-2 distortion pedal, a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor, and a Boss CE-5 or CH-1 chorus pedal. It's just a guess though. I haven't tried any of these pedals.

The algorithm for GT36:GaRaGe consists of:

MS(1) preamp
MIDDLE speaker sim
Noise Suppressor

So maybe a Boss ST-2 or Marshall Guv'nor distortion pedal and a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor.

The noise suppressor is optional in both cases.

Perhaps a more practical solution would be to get a Boss multi-effects unit like the ME-25, ME-70, or the new GT-100. They include the same sort of COSM effects that are in the Micro BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

'Grinder' sounds like it may have a dash of flanger in there too. Distortion + Chorus + Flanger.

Or my ears may be tricking me, lol

64Guitars

Quote from: Greeny on April 02, 2012, 09:41:57 AM'Grinder' sounds like it may have a dash of flanger in there too. Distortion + Chorus + Flanger.

Or my ears may be tricking me, lol

Your ears are tricking you. In the Micro BR, chorus and flanger are both in the FX effect (which also includes compressor, phaser, and tremolo/pan). Only one of these can be selected at a time, so it's not possible to have both chorus and flanger in the same patch.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

suburban behemoth

If someone could post a sample of each preset, I think I could find what it is you're looking for.

Grinder sounds like it might be similar to the Digitech DOD Death Metal pedal, which can be found for about $40-50.

recorder
Boss BR-864