How to Write a Song in Five Minutes

Started by 64Guitars, March 27, 2012, 01:26:35 PM

Hook

Quote from: na_th_an on August 07, 2012, 06:21:59 AMI might be flawed, but all keys sound the same to me.

No your not flawed, when I used to perform covers I would change keys all the time to fit my range and voice and perform them with same arrangement and energy. My point is with writing, if you feel your singing the same melody change it to a key your not comfortable with. Instead of reaching for that high not you always do , well, you can't it's to high, thus forcing you into a different melodic direction.By changing the key , weather it's the same old progression or a new one you are challenging your abilities and hopefully inspiring new creativity.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

na_th_an

Most agreed.

Besides, re-using chord progressions shouldn't be considered bad practice. Songs aren't just sheer progressions of chords. Rythm, phrasing, instrumentation, tempo, athmosphere... Too many variables. Combinations are endless. Plus, music is mathematics with a soul.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Adobe Audition

Vaisvil

Quote from: na_th_an on August 07, 2012, 06:21:59 AMI might be flawed, but all keys sound the same to me. I mean, C F G sounds the same as D G A, same intervals.

Me too. At one time, just before 12 equal took over, in the days of meantone tuning there was a subtle difference between keys because the unequal steps.

And on your other point - surely Tomorrow Never Knows is an excellent one chord (one note?) song, basically. But on the other hand there is so much other stuff going on I question if harmony is even important. Personally I'll take the Beatle laughing seagulls myself.  ;)

na_th_an

Even without seagulls, Tomorrow Never Knows is ace. That drum beat... That drum sound. That vocal melody.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Adobe Audition