Your thoughts on Sampling

Started by Rata-tat-tat, March 21, 2012, 11:05:20 AM

Hook

I think it's about how you integrate it into the creative process. On my cover of U2's "Love Is Blindness" the sax part is some samples off the electronic drum kit. I hit a pad and it played a 2-4 beat riff every time I hit a pad it played the next riff in it's program. I toiled about including it since it was hardly me playing it  but I decided to include it because it sounded so cool and I did play all other instrument's and vocals. I think samplers and phone apps and crap like that are great tools and can add tremendously to the art of music. Someone is always going to learn to use these tools well, and who's really to say that what they create with only those tools isn't music. I can't stand this processed, auto tuned, over produced pop garbage but I can't say that the producer of said crap isn't using musicianship in what he/she is creating, even if the singer isn't.
When I perform live I use a loop station, some people feel that this is using tracks but I strongly disagree. I'm recording and layering phrases live, on the spot, to create a full sound. It's a form of sampling and I think it's awesome. Rata-tat-tat your last tune was very creative, clearly not just someone cutting and pasting. The few tunes that Swansong has done with his samples recently have been quite good.
You need to use the power of the sample only for good!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

ODH

I'm very much in agreement that samples enhance your musical toolbox, another colour on your pallette. 

I also agree that stringing together a series of commercially available loops isn't music making at all.  I have a small reservation in saying that though in that I'm a believer in means of music production being available to anyone who has a drive to make music.  For example, I used to write and record on a limited budget back in the '90s, then had a 10 year break.  I was amazed how much more capable music I was able to make on a similar budget because of technology now.  Ten years ago there was no way I could make good electronic music on my budget, or record anything like broadcast quality.  Now I can do what I want to, within the limits of my own creativity and industry.  And I know that using iPad apps etc, it's probably simple to make broadcast quality original music for free.  Power to the people.

I don't actually have the technology to use samples at the moment, but I'd really like to get a Korg microSampler to go with my MicrKorg XL.

One another thing I'd definitely echo is how very hard I've found it to make good dance music.  I can string bar chords together and improvise solos in a blues scale all day long, but making dance music is so much more involved and difficult, in my opinion.  I definitely respect the likes of David Guetta and Calvin Harris.  I only wish I had half their talent.

Quote from: Hook on March 21, 2012, 06:24:46 PMWhen I perform live I use a loop station, some people feel that this is using tracks but I strongly disagree. I'm recording and layering phrases live, on the spot, to create a full sound. It's a form of sampling and I think it's awesome.

Completely agree with you, Hook.  That's a whole skill in itself, something else I'd like to explore sometime.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Rata-tat-tat

Hey guys... seems I've sparked some interest. I'm digging the input on this thread. I'll add my thoughts since I started this darn thing.

As I said before... I would not have given electronic samples the time of day. I guess NIN would have been the starting point for me as far as "opening my eyes". Reznor views computers and technology as the means to create the music therefore it must be an instrument. I listened to NIN back in the day and really didn't go much farther than listening to it. I never tried to create anything of that sort until the Kaossilator. I also agree that the lego building block method can be a very easy way of creating a track; however, I think if you go one step farther by engineering those building blocks... then you are falling into the relm of Engineering. We are all engineering music on this site... and the Engineering process can be very tedious and grueling to acheive a desired sound. I guess it all depends on how deep you are willing to dive into the engineering role!!! As a musician... I find that engineering is necessary in recording. Musicianship can carry you a long way in the track, but in the end you need the engineering skills to polish the sound!!!

People who use loopers are crazy good musicians in my book. Especially if they can pull it off and make it sound good. I've seen some of the solo looping acts and they blow my mind.

I too try as best I can to not punch in and out, but for me... it takes a long time to learn a song from start to finish... and most of the time I end up getting the first part of the song right, but somewhere in the middle or the end I screw up and don't feel like a redo on the entire track. So I opt for the easy way out!!! PUNCH IN AND OUT works for me!!!

I've never really listened to dance music and still don't care too.... but I will say I've learn'd to respect some of it a little more than I used to... And yes I can sniff out that pop crap that loops a single bar over and over with little or no additions throughout the track. To me that's a rip off!!! I would rather listen to a track that sounded like crap, but had a lot of interesting changes and builds and peaks... rather than a track that loops for 4 minutes of the same boring sound.

Thanks for all the input guys.... I'll be able to sleep tonight!!! LOL

Cheers

Tod

recorder
Tascam DP-02

bruno

Posted this

Time:
0:00
Volume:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14758.0

I think sampling is simply another tool, you can choose to use it or not - and it can inspire or not! If it pleases you, why not?
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Flash Harry

Sampling. Should stick to wine.

Or beer.

Or whisky.

Tea is good.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

I do use samples here and there (sound fx, dialogue etc) but usually as an enhancement to a song where everything else is organically played and 'hand made'.

I've tinkered in the past with complete cut-and-paste mash-ups, but I always feel a bit dirty and dishonest afterwards, lol. So most of those have never seen the light of day, or at best, have been used as psychedelic / weird interludes on various albums.

I don't include my Thumbjam additions as samples, as I'm still playing them by hand. And where else would I get a Mellotron for my songs?!

bruno

Quote from: Greeny on March 26, 2012, 04:26:37 AMI've tinkered in the past with complete cut-and-paste mash-ups, but I always feel a bit dirty and dishonest afterwards, lol. So most of those have never seen the light of day, or at best, have been used as psychedelic / weird interludes on various albums.

:) That's quite true generally of musicians, the need to feel that you can re-create it live, or that you played it end to end without stopping. However, if you look at literature, most authors edit - the reason is that its only when it whole that you can see what works and what doesn't. You've still played it, but not quite in that order :) That said, I tend to prefer to play it straight where possible, because you loose the subtle variations that quite often make a song - but I have no problem with punching in, or using one vocal verse from one take, and one from another - assuming that its seamless and benefits the whole. I guess its a question of level. That said, I frequently use drum loops which sound much more natural than a drum machines - but sometimes in a mix, its hard to tell. Note that pretty much all professional drum recordings these days are samples driven/triggered from the drum audio, not the recorded drums themselves - the drummer has still played it, but the technology has taken over the actual sound - crazy but true. The reality is though, at the end of the day, its the piece that matters, not particularly who play this or that part - and that drives musicians crazy!!!

recorder
Boss BR-1600

phantasm777

when i cut and paste, or play backwards, etc. any of my stuff i dont feel bad at all, i guess cause mostly it's still all my stuff no matter what i do to it or with it. when i fiarst started i even tried just doing a riff once and copying it for repeat rather than doing it myselff. now i dont do that, but i found it could be done, you just have to be on time in cutting and pasting like a M-F-er, so to speak. luckily i am a drummer and i dont have to do loops or samples etc. and of course i prefer real drums overall. but totally understand those here who use non real drums. you gotta have something there so if i weren't a drummer i would be doing it too. playing around with my keys i've found i can do effects and backgrounds and not worry much, yet, about samples. i wish i were able to make more complex songs but my hands for bass and guitar just arent up to par yet and it will be some time. i just have too many instruments to play and sing as well. add to that making my music, mixing etc. entotal and i just dont have the time to just practice any one instrument , not even drums as much as i would like.