Micro BR Vocal Effect Patches

Started by Carpy, February 29, 2012, 07:29:02 AM

Carpy

For the micro BR what do people like for vocal patches?  I've just started exploring them and it seems like there isn't a lot to play with.

I am not real experienced putting effects on vocals, I normally just sing with my acoustic, and when I record it's not too bad.   But now I am trying to put vocals to to my recently posted song Expectations and it's just horrible.  When the vocals come in they just slap you in the face, and not in a good way.

I know the big portion is my singing ability but outside of that it just seems harsh and I would think I could use effects to round the edges a bit.

Any advice would be appreciated.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i tend to opt for the fornylon setting, but i often switch to the guitar effects 22 and 72 to get some psychedelic panning and stereo effects.

one thing to remember is leave space in the middle for your vocals, so if you have guitars pan them away from the middle as vocals share similar frequencies so will compete to be heard over one another. bass is fine in the middle  tho. just the higher frequences of rhythm and lead guitar.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

Jim makes some great points, and another thing to consider would be mic placement, sensitivity and input level. I use the MicroBR's onboard mic, and it seems to work the best when placed at least two feet from your lips give or take, especially if you are a high powered singer. Probably about the same distance when you sing and play with your guitar.

The closer you are, the more you will have to drop the sensitivity to reduce the chances of clipping and keep the bad frequencies from overpowering the track. Input level (The right wheel) should be turned down if you are pinning the level meter. This will allow you to mix your sound better, and help you notice if you are crowding the vocal track almost to the point of clipping, which is not good. Even if the "over" light doesn't come on, it doesn't mean you have to record at too high a level.

The next step would be to reduce the low and mid frequencies using the EQ option in the patch settings. Keep lowering it until the waffley woofs go away. AgLoCut is a good one to use.

I would try the above before using any effects at all. Hope that helps and good luck - I'd like to hear what you are working on!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover