Guitars made from the "bones" of New York

Started by Speed Demon, February 20, 2012, 08:27:44 AM

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

IanR

Great post

I'd like a guitar from the Chelsea Hotel.

It makes me wonder that if he can make a great guitar, that Bob Dylan wants to play, from reclaimed lumbar, then why do we fuss so much over what exotic wood our instruments are made out of.

I'd like to know if any of my local luthiers in Melbourne do the same thing.  I'm probably not in the market, but if I ever get financial enough for a hand made guitar, this could be worth pursuing.

cheers,

IAn

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Speed Demon

Machined from a solid billet of brass, back in the 1970's.

We've seen metal guitars before, but not any made from solid brass. That's right, solid, not plated. I couldn't say whether or not the guitar body is chambered, but weighing in at a whopping 70 lbs it's possible that this one-of-a kind brass Ibanez Artist is solid all the way through.

And you thought a Les Paul was heavy. Despite the weight, apparently it is fully playable and has recently been professionally set up. Looking at the condition of the body with scrapes and dings it looks like it may have been used over the last 4 decades as well.

But "WHY?" you may well be asking. Apparently it was created as a centre piece for the unveiling of the Ibanez Artist line at NAMM sometime in the mid 1970s.

Other than unusual choice of body material, specs are: 25" scale, 1 11/16" nut width, ebony fingerboard, Flying Fingers humbuckers, active 3-band equalizer.

This one of a kind guitar is currently listed on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $24,999.95

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

Speed Demon

According to the article on the brass Ibanez, the instrument was properly set up for playing.

I think not.

Look at the bridge saddles. They appear to be in a straight line. That is not the case with a properly intonated guitar. This guitar cannot play at concert pitch with the saddles in their current position.

What do you think about it?

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

Pete C

Google Rick Kelly Custom Guitars to see some more of his work.  Beautiful guitars.  Wouldn't mind one of his Teles!
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

guitarron

Quote from: Speed Demon on February 22, 2012, 05:09:32 AMAccording to the article on the brass Ibanez, the instrument was properly set up for playing.

I think not.

Look at the bridge saddles. They appear to be in a straight line. That is not the case with a properly intonated guitar. This guitar cannot play at concert pitch with the saddles in their current position.

What do you think about it?
good catch

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis