"Into the Night" new original song by sq51!

Started by sq51, February 19, 2012, 10:14:41 AM

sq51

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Hi guys! Here's something new!

I worked on this tune a couple of weeks ago. It is self-written and arranged, sort of a leap into the stadium-rock area. Think Springsteen, almost. It includes three electric guitars, an acoustic, vocals, drums and bass. And when you're working with that many instruments (many for me, at least) it's hard to mix it. So this is the final version that me and madrab came up with, but I want some outer constructive criticism. What's hard is also that the drums are made on the drum machine on the BR-800, so they sound a bit stale, and, because of the theme of the song "wanting" them to be a bit before the beat, the sound off-beat. But please give me some opinions on the song, that would be real nice!

Cheers

bruno

Good song - enjoyed your track.

You are right about the drums - I don't know the BR-800, but they sound a little mechanical. Some machines will allow you add a touch of swing to make them less mechanical. Sometimes you can change the kit, for this style of music, you really need a big fat drum sound - probably dripping with reverb as was the style in the 80's stadium rock thing - reverb really helps to sit tracks in the mix better. Also, I would say that the vox are quite dry, a bit of reverb should help immensely. Just some thoughts, I am no expert, somethings to try - hope that helps:-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

madrab

I think Mattias is looking for more of a 70's kind of drum sound. If it hadn't been for all the different guitar parts I would have wanted him to record it live and let my old band to take the part of crazy horse. I like it a lot, but I guess I am partial.