recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

Hi Pine -
Too be honest, I played the electric for 40 years - and had a rather horrible round back acoustic for 15 years or so - but used that for strumming - it is too horrible for recording. I kinda wanted to play Midnight Express (Extreme - Nuno Bettencort), it became of nemesis type piece for me. I tended to play the round back pretty much as I play the electric. I've only had the Brook (a real acoustic) for 18 months or so, and that's my first real acoustic (what a way to start) - so am still finding my way with it. It was the most I'd ever spent on a guitar, so I am motivated to learn it properly :-) Have been doing a few Open Mikes which helps you listen to different styles of music.

I grew up as a rock head, so was quite closed minded to other types of music, and was a bit of a speed-head with the electric. It's only as I get older that I am starting to realise that there is a whole world of other music out there - I'm starting to listen to country and folk music, but still am a bit of a rock-head!! I've not heard of the players that you mention - so I will do some research, and listen and try to learn. I am still playing the Brook as I would play an electric, using a  heavy nylon pick but life is a journey and I want to keep learning and growing as a player - my only problem is the work/home life balance. So much to do, and so little time :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Pine

B...thanks for the nice reply. Always nice to hear about people's background with music and how they evolved. Must be your gettin' up there in the years like me. I was pretty much a rock guy as well, altho i loved Dylan too. Didn't really open my ears until the early 70's...and didn't get into the bluegrass stuff until late 70's. I have never been a fast player...always more into tones and working notes and writing lyrics.

Norman Blake and Tony Rice can pick at blinding speed...but they are the "old guard" now...turning it over to youngsters like Bryon Sutton and many more. If you wanna hear flatpickin' at it's best, pick up a copy of Tony's Manzanita or Norman's Whiskey Before Breakfast...classics full of virtuoso playing.

i just posted my first attempt at flatpicking..give a listen if ya get a chance..it's called Wagons West.
Good talkin' with ya!

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

bruno

Pine - couldn't fine Norman's version, but just listened to Doc Watson's 'Whiskey Before Breakfast' - wow some seriously great playing - left a smile on my face.

Pine - let me introduce you to some some English folk (actually Frank Turner was in a Punk band - and then went folk) - anyway I think this is wonderful, take a listen and let me know what you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpGCqmwDqU

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Pine

Enjoyed the intro to Frank Turner...real strong singer, good writer, and his folky guitar is so full...almost sounds like a 12 string. Nice stuff...i like folk..always have. Has that "real" factor and usually good lyrics. I have a bad hearing deficit and yet his vox are mixed up nicely so i was able to hear all his lyrics. Thanks for sharing!

Grabbed a vid of Norman teaching the traditional song, Whiskey Before Breakfast.... he makes it look So easy...his right hand is incredibly relaxed...

http://youtu.be/sYau7QfiiuM

check it out if ya get a chance...

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

bruno

Pine - speed is all about a relaxed left hand, and micro movements - you can't play fast with a tense left hand. I used to practice actually pressing as lightly as you can get away with, and smallest possible movements.

Will have a go at this - seems like a fun piece to play at an open mike!

recorder
Boss BR-1600