Alonetone linking?

Started by ODH, February 15, 2012, 03:17:32 PM

ODH

Couple of times lately I've listened to songs here and they show up in my Alonetone listening history.  Which is cool.

How does that come about?
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

64Guitars

A few members host their songs at alonetone and link to them from Songcrafters with our player. When you play one of those songs here, I guess alonetone can detect the access of their file. However, I'm not sure how they know it's being accessed by you unless you're simultaneously logged in to alonetone and they can compare your login IP address with the IP address that's accessing the MP3 file. We certainly share no member information with them. Tracking your listening offsite sounds a bit Orwellian to me. Are you sure you didn't listen to those songs at alonetone as well? Or maybe you were simultaneously logged in to both Songcrafters and alonetone?

By the way, if you have songs at alonetone which you wish to post here, this guide tells you how to do it:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=9

Linking directly to files at alonetone is a good thing for Songcrafters because it doesn't use our server space. However, there's a slight drawback for you in that those songs won't appear in your personal jukebox or any of the other jukeboxes (Latest Songs, On This Day, and Overlooked Gems). But I hope to fix that problem within the next few months.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

ODH

Thanks 64, I'll post my songs that way in future.

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 15, 2012, 03:54:00 PMAre you sure you didn't listen to those songs at alonetone as well?

I was listening to Vaisvil's Heart Shaped Box here, switched over to Alonetone and there it was in my Recent Listening History

Speed Demon

Sounds totally creepy to me. I think I will give Alonetone a pass.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

64Guitars

I just did a simple test and found that alonetone can only add the song to your alonetone listening history if you're logged in to alonetone at the time you listened to the alonetone-hosted song at Songcrafters.

While logged out from alonetone, I played Vaisvil's "Heart Shaped Box". Then I logged in to alonetone and looked at my listening history. "Heart Shaped Box" was not there. While still logged in to alonetone, I then played "Going to Hell in a rowing boat (Take 2)" by thetworegs at Songcrafters and it was added to my alonetone listening history. To see if it would remember my IP address and continue to track my listens, I logged out from alonetone and played "Are you the Kinda Lady" by thetworegs at Songcrafters. When I logged back in to alonetone and checked my listening history, the song was not there.

So, the bottom line is that alonetone can only track what you listen to at Songcrafters if you're logged in to alonetone at the time you play the song at Songcrafters and the Songcrafters song is hosted at alonetone. If you're logged out from alonetone, there's no way they can track what you're listening to at Songcrafters. And, whether you're logged in at alonetone or not, there's no way it can track what you're listening to at Songcrafters unless the song is hosted at alonetone.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

ODH

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 16, 2012, 08:32:55 AMI just did a simple test and found that alonetone can only add the song to your alonetone listening history if you're logged in to alonetone at the time you listened to the alonetone-hosted song at Songcrafters.

While logged out from alonetone, I played Vaisvil's "Heart Shaped Box". Then I logged in to alonetone and looked at my listening history. "Heart Shaped Box" was not there. While still logged in to alonetone, I then played "Going to Hell in a rowing boat (Take 2)" by thetworegs at Songcrafters and it was added to my alonetone listening history. To see if it would remember my IP address and continue to track my listens, I logged out from alonetone and played "Are you the Kinda Lady" by thetworegs at Songcrafters. When I logged back in to alonetone and checked my listening history, the song was not there.

So, the bottom line is that alonetone can only track what you listen to at Songcrafters if you're logged in to alonetone at the time you play the song at Songcrafters and the Songcrafters song is hosted at alonetone. If you're logged out from alonetone, there's no way they can track what you're listening to at Songcrafters. And, whether you're logged in at alonetone or not, there's no way it can track what you're listening to at Songcrafters unless the song is hosted at alonetone.

That's very interesting stuff.  There's layers of complexity there I was not aware of.  Make's you wonder...

Oldrottenhead

i think also, even if you havent been on alonetone for a while but haven't logged out when leaving alonetone, it still records your listens here there.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann