TASCAM DP02 Question on Stereo Output

Started by Rata-tat-tat, February 12, 2012, 04:54:44 PM

Rata-tat-tat

Hey guys... figured I'd throw this up for grabs here, before I throw this recorder out the window. I'm using a Yamaha MW12CX mixing console to mix my live drums. I'm having issues with the panning going into the TASCAM DP02... I think I may not have something hooked up right or I'm loosing the pan due to channeling issues on the DP02.... I'll go through the set up and maybe someone here can point out the obvious or my or my lack of experience... to get this puppy figured out!!!

I have seven mics on my drum kit. All mics are going XLR into the XLR inputs of the Yamaha. Except for my floor tom which is plugged into the Rt mono jack of that channel... (I ran out of XLR channels The Yamaha only allows for 6 XLR channels and two Mono channels).

I then run XLR out of the Yamaha from the "Stereo OUT LT&RT" output buss into the XLR input A&B of TASCAM DP02.

When I record my drums.... I record to 2 separate tracks and pan channel A Lt & channel B rt....

I have one mic on the kick (Panned center)
One on the snare (Panned center)
3 on the toms (panned lt center and rt respectively)
and a stereo pair of overhead condensors (Panned lt & rt)

I would expect this set up would allow for a sweeping lt to rt sound as I am comming around the toms on fills... however, everything sounds like it is comming out centere'd to me...

FYI I l tried a recording with the MBR and it works fine comming out of the Yamaha's "Record Out RCA output" into the MBR 1/8" stereo input. Pan's work as expected.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

64Guitars

Did you assign the inputs to the record tracks? See page 23 of the TASCAM DP-02 owner's manual.

Here's the procedure for recording inputs A and B to tracks 1 and 2:

Step 1) Press and hold the ASSIGN A button. While holding down the ASSIGN A button, press the Track 1 REC button. The Track 1 REC button will begin to flash. Release the ASSIGN A button and the Track 1 REC button.

Step 2) Press and hold the ASSIGN B button. While holding down the ASSIGN B button, press the Track 2 REC button. The Track 2 REC button will begin to flash. Release the ASSIGN B button and the Track 2 REC button.

The signal from input A is now assigned to track 1 and the signal from input B is assigned to track 2. If input A is connected to the mixer's left channel output and input B is connected to the mixer's right channel output, then the left channel signal will be recorded on track 1 and the right channel signal will be recorded on track 2.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Rata-tat-tat

64 yes I did assign the channels... and now that I've done some messing around with the MBR... I'm not so sure I'm losing pan out of the DP02... I may be losing it in Cubase AI version 4... this is where I do my final mastering when I record with the DP02. I tried a drum recording last night with my Yamaha lined into the microphone input of the computer and came out with the same result. I set up a stereo track in Cubase but it all seems to be recording in Mono. Works fine with the MBR though.

I guess now my question is leaning toward setting up stereo tracks in Cubase AI... the set up of busses in the manual got me totally confused. I've decided to sell the DP02... and am looking at picking up an audio interface to record directly to computer... Any suggestions???

recorder
Tascam DP-02