Monitors?

Started by Kody, January 17, 2009, 04:18:07 PM

Kody

Yep, that's Line 6....buy one thing....then you have to buy everything else they make to go with it..lol
I got the XT bean- then I bought the model packs- and of course the FBV Shortboard- now they're trying to get me to buy AmpFarm!! I am happy with the stuff, but damn!

Would be nice to have more stuff for your Variax- I'm more than happy with the XT(don't have a Variax) The other thing is what- ever you buy now is bound to be replaced by the next new thing~ I told myself that before i bought the XT~sure enough they came out with the X3s....but anyway.... I'm still satisfied with my stuff....
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Geir

Well if you're on a budget why not go for some behringer ms16 monitor speakers. I've had mine for a couple of years now and find then more than good enough for my use. Sure, they're not exactly high end, but is really good value for the money.

Apart from that I always use headphones, earplugs, cheap PC-speakers and car stereo to test the result. Especially for the bass I find that crucial. But after I started testing with my Behringer monitors I rarely have to  change much in the mix.

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

I'm with hewhoiscalle, who said:

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on March 18, 2009, 05:03:53 PMWith any set of monitors, the final check is always how sweet it sounds in your car stereo. Considering the fixed budget of most home studio hobbyists, I'd say you are better off spending your cash on things like mics and preamps; and just get a pair of monitors you can easily afford...

If you are going to sweat over things that only a dog can hear, then you probably shouldn't be using a microrecorder.

My short list of test environments--none of which are audiophile quality:

• Cheap studio monitor headphones plugged into the MBR
  • Even cheaper headphones (the ones I use for jogging)
  • Cheap earbuds.
  • MBR plugged into the aux input of our could-be-cheaper home stereo (with the stereo EQ off/flat)
  • MBR plugged into the aux input of car stereo (with the stereo EQ off/flat)

If I can get it to sound good in all of these environments, I reckon (and I could be wrong) that it'll sound good on a high-end system too.

The best monitor, if you can get it, is a second set of ears during mix down.  By the time I get to mix down, I'm so intimately aware of every part--flaws in particular--that I'm hearing them just because I know they are there, but in reality they are mixed too low.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

QuoteBy the time I get to mix down, I'm so intimately aware of every part--flaws in particular--that I'm hearing them just because I know they are there, but in reality they are mixed too low
That's actually a really good advise, something I usually tend to forget :-[.
Of course here on these forums you can always get nice and good feedback!!

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

guitaroscar

I bought a pair of Beringer 20 near-field monitors for $150 Australian.  They are very good.  I use the optical out on the Br900 and can't fault them.
They are not loud enough for rock,  but then, volume is not really wahat I am chasing in monitors.

On the Micro BR I go straight out od the headphone jack, into the RCA jacks on the monitors.
Everything is set up ready to go.  I never have to disconnect anything or reconnect anything.

SteveB

I have a pair of Edirol MA10s attached to my BR1200 (Also can-do with BR900), and I couldn't be happier. (Well I could, I could try and produce some work with the set-up!!). The 1200 has a Speaker-Simulation mode which allows you to hear your product through a number of speaker set-ups, small, tinny etc, to large and brash (Lots in between as well), it's a very good tool in the sound arsenal. I think Edirol may be manufactured, or at least be in cahoots with Roland/Boss, because they do seem to push their products.

Pic below of speakers and 1200.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Pine

I have the same monitors Steve. I used them with my Fostex VF80 but as my hearing declined, i needed more watts...as sad as that is...cuz they do pretty damn well. I now use them here on my PC (BIG improvement over the stock cheapo Dell issues!). When i upgraded to my BR1200, i bought a close out pair of M-Audio BX-5's (they were upgrading to the BX-5A's) Got the pair for $199 new and it was a good choice in hindsight. I also like the "speaker modeling" options in the 1200...although they have not influenced my mixes alot.
   I believe you are right about the Edirols...foreign subsidery of Roland/Boss.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

SteveB

PDG - Yep, I'm happy with the Monitors, they do the business and do seem well suited to the BR-range, I use them too on my 900, and originally bought them to use on my BR-864. But, sh*t, ain't they heavy!! I had to carry these pair of b*st*rds (New & Boxed) for roughly 4 miles in Winter back to my place when the public transport had stopped running. It really did cross my mind to dump them!!  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon