Monitors?

Started by Kody, January 17, 2009, 04:18:07 PM

Kody

I have been using an old 300W stereo with some JVC speakers as my poor man's monitoring system. I've done plenty of research and let me tell you- good monitors are not cheap. Anyway I was just wandering what some of you guys or girls are using. Thinking  something like this would be nice. (and way cheaper than most)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Studiophile-AV40-Speakers?sku=600092
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BossMicroBRew

Poor man's method for me too. Most of the time I use my Altec Lansing computer speakers. (only 1 speaker works)  :o Sometimes I run RCAs to my stereo or through a Xenyx802 to my guitar amp.

However, I'd take the monitors any day.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Tony

These M-audio monitors are $132 something at Amazon at present (I always check because Musician's Friend will not send things to Australia - so I don't really think of them as my friend.  Simple, I am.)

Kody

Typically, you can't find 1 monitor for that price :-\  but they're certainly not comparable to most.  There is that old saying "you get what you pay for", but I'm so tired of this jimmy-rigged system I've got going on here. M-audio has an even cheaper set, but I don't want a "cheap" sound in return ???

No....my bedroom is not a professional recording studioso I think these might do.

P.s. They've been my "friend" for way too long.......I have the platinum card and monthly bill to prove it ;D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

tafka

i plug my guitar into the BR then i use a little lead plugged into the headphone socket on the BR and the other end (with jack adaptor)
into my Line6 amp and monitor that way.
is that any help?

Tony J.
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

Kody

Hey, I've been a Line 6 fan for awhile~ is that the SpiderValve, Vetta, or Spider your talking about? I've been using a Podxt for years!

Anyway, this took care of my monitoring needs.....(kind of)LOL!!
I do have one, and it works great, but I do have better options!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5700298
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

hewhoiscalledj

Keep in mind that monitors are just another set of tools for recording. At the end of the day, your recordings will be heard on your home/car stereo and on your mp3 player.

With any set of monitors, KRKs or even plain headphones, the thing to listen for is how what you hear will translate into what you hear on other systems. What I like to do is establish a reference point. I listen to the produced albums that i'm trying to emulate with my own music (lets say it's The Who) on my monitors; in this case, it's my sony headphones. Get used to how that sounds, then tweak your recordings to match that referenced sound. I'm no expert and my recordings will shows that, but that's the advice that I've gotten from more than one pro recording engineer. With any set of monitors, the final check is always how sweet it sounds in your car stereo. Considering the fixed budget of most home studio hobbyists, I'd say you are better off spending your cash on things like mics and preamps; and just get a pair of monitors you can easily afford... like decent headphones or MAudio monitors.

Peace love and chicken grease y'all...

Kody

That's great advice, J....Thanks!

Peace love and....uh......hot sauce
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

tafka

its a 75 Watt Spider III

Tony J
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

guitarron

Tapco s8 -awesome stuff for the money

speaking of line 6 i'm interested in a pod that supports variax
live3 or xt maybe-a bit pricey tho-can't seem to take the plunge on another modeling device
they do sound terrific

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder