Carpal Tunnel Operation

Started by Ferryman, January 12, 2009, 03:36:35 AM

OsCKilO

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 13, 2011, 03:27:09 PM
QuoteIf so, maybe you should try wanking with the other hand.
i'm sticking to my charmed arm matey, its probably wear and tear thats caused this in the first place

Does it feel like someone else is doing it? :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

ODH

uh... moving on
Quote from: Ferryman on May 13, 2011, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: Nick / odh on May 13, 2011, 06:06:05 AMLot of it about, by the looks.  I was told I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but I wimped out of the procedure I was offered.  I can live with a bit of tingling in my right fingers for the time being.

Good luck with you op though, Nigel.  I'll be interested to know how it progresses.

Nick, it's an old post, I had the op about 18 months ago. It went fine, full recovery and the surgeon (himslef a jazz guitar player) said playing the guitar was good therapy. I don't wear a watch now though - it was definitely aggravated by wearing a "big" watch on my left wrist. So if you have the symptoms, it;s worth getting it checked out. I was lucky enough to get it done quickly because I have health insurance through work.

Jim, careful with those tablets (Eugene)....

Cheers,

Nigel

Really pleased the op was a success, always some risk in anything like that.  Obviously hasn't affected your playing too much.  I've got some symptoms but nothing serious enough to get the op yet.

I really should check the dates of posts before replying.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

dasilvasings

"Carpal Tunnel Operation"... I think I saw a sci-fi movie with that name ;-)

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 13, 2011, 05:23:33 AMi am wrong looks like i might have cervical spondylitis, which is caused by a trapped nerve or suchlike in my neck, not in the wrist like carpal tunnel syndrome. i was showing a lot of the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome but affecting my entire leftt arm. doc gave me some meds, actually anti-depression tablets lol that work for neuralgia so will help relieve some of the discomfort. got a few x-rays taken and will get the results of them in a week or so. so once the pills kick in you may get some songs that are a bit more jolly than my usual fare.

James, you need a diagnosis.

You should have electromiography/electroneurography to both your arms in order to understand if it's carpal tunnel OR something to do with your neck.
Rx-graphy in this situation is rather unuseful. Since you are 50 years (or something like that) old, it's very likely that you will find ANYWAY some spondylo-arthrosis, but this will not help you to understand if there is any problem at your wrist.

So:

1) electromiography/electroneurography. If positive for Carpal tunnel syndrome, it's important to have an estimate of the level of the syndrome itself, in order to decide for surgery or not

2) if electromiography is NEGATIVE, then you need a Magnetic Resonance to your neck, to see if there is some problem with your cervical portion of cord.

This is my everyday behaviour with my patients having such problems.

Of course feel free to contact me for further details.
Bye
Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition