Carpal Tunnel Operation

Started by Ferryman, January 12, 2009, 03:36:35 AM

mr2kewl

that's pretty wild - i've got the same in my cubical at work since i'm trying to learn the bass. you can get nice fretboard printouts of any scale for bass and 6 strings at <http://www.studybass.com/>

nigel - if you need any inspiration during your recovery time  check out this guy who used two fingres to play cuz he had his ring and pinky fingers damaged beyond use in a fire at the start of his musical career.

i swear the guy sitting behind d'jango is howard sprague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UVw5C0SDkc
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

hewhoiscalledj

Mr2Cool, you just lived up to your name. That link you posted for the fretboard generator is totally amazing. I thought it was just for printing out a generic, blank fretboard to pencil in my scales...

Lo and behold, you can tell it what key, scale, chord you want and PRESTO... instant music map for the challenged guitarists such as myself.

THANK YOU a million times over!!! I've used www.jguitar.com in the past but this one is so much easier...

Kudos to you sir.

Ferryman

Quote from: mr2cool on January 14, 2009, 05:55:11 PMthat's pretty wild - i've got the same in my cubical at work since i'm trying to learn the bass. you can get nice fretboard printouts of any scale for bass and 6 strings at <http://www.studybass.com/>

nigel - if you need any inspiration during your recovery time  check out this guy who used two fingres to play cuz he had his ring and pinky fingers damaged beyond use in a fire at the start of his musical career.

Thanks! Like the site link - will do some studying while I'm out of action. As I've never had any lessons or theory, perhaps now's the time to start!

As for Django, I just love Hot Club de France. I've never seen them on video, what a joy. But here's the bad news - I already use a mainly two fingered technique. Nothing to do with anything being damaged in a fire or anything like that tho, just poor technique  :)

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 14, 2009, 03:34:35 PMI think that the worst will be bleeding fingers from not playing for so long! Three weeks since I picked up a guitar and tonight my fingers are burning.

Good luck with the op. I hope its successful.   ;D

Thanks Flash, appreciate the thought. Know what you mean about the fingers. I don't play enough and if I have a long session, the old pinkies start to get painful. Especially with those big old bass strings  :'(

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

good luck man
i think i might need that same op
i guess i'm in denial

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Quote from: guitarron on January 23, 2009, 05:54:07 AMgood luck man
i guess i'm in denial

Thanks - it's next Friday. Shouldn't be too bad. If you have tingling in the thumb and first two fingers of a hand, that's a pretty sure sign. I also get occasional shooting pains in the arm as well. It's uncomfortable rather than really painful but it is a sign of nreve damage. My doctor said that if it gets done within the first two years of symptoms you should get back to normal.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

had a check on the nhs healthcheck site and think i might have carpal tunnel syndrome going to the docs today to get it checked.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Sorry to hear that James ! Hope your wrong !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

i am wrong looks like i might have cervical spondylitis, which is caused by a trapped nerve or suchlike in my neck, not in the wrist like carpal tunnel syndrome. i was showing a lot of the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome but affecting my entire leftt arm. doc gave me some meds, actually anti-depression tablets lol that work for neuralgia so will help relieve some of the discomfort. got a few x-rays taken and will get the results of them in a week or so. so once the pills kick in you may get some songs that are a bit more jolly than my usual fare.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

ODH

Quote from: guitarron on January 23, 2009, 05:54:07 AMgood luck man
i guess i'm in denial

Lot of it about, by the looks.  I was told I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but I wimped out of the procedure I was offered.  I can live with a bit of tingling in my right fingers for the time being.

Good luck with you op though, Nigel.  I'll be interested to know how it progresses.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter