Carpal Tunnel Operation

Started by Ferryman, January 12, 2009, 03:36:35 AM

Ferryman

Hi all,

I've got carpal tunnel syndrome in my left wrist and am having an op at the end of this month. Just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar op and how long it took you to get back into playing. The consultant says 4-6 week recovery time but I'd like to hear from anyone if that's what they really found. I'm a guitar and bass hacker btw.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Sorry to hear that.  Do what the good Dr says and don't rush it.  I would look into a Kaossilator.  See link below.  All you need is one finger (either hand) to create really cool music.  I may have to look at one of these myself  :D

https://songcrafters.org/community/post-your-work/unicordia-first-serious-micro-br-recording-by-a-newbie/msg8452/#msg8452

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

A guy on another forum damaged his left hand, and removed the cast early to be able to play, making things worse in the process. No idea what your recovery time should be, but dont push it!!

Ferryman

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 12, 2009, 07:40:15 AMSorry to hear that.  Do what the good Dr says and don't rush it.  I would look into a Kaossilator.  See link below.  All you need is one finger (either hand) to create really cool music.  I may have to look at one of these myself  :D

https://songcrafters.org/community/post-your-work/unicordia-first-serious-micro-br-recording-by-a-newbie/msg8452/#msg8452

That newbie is me  :) You're dead right, the Kaossilator will be used while I am one handed. I may be doing some Kaossilator stuff only over the next few months. One of the reasons for getting it was that I have a work-related "gig" in February. A work colleague and I have an electro duo that occasionally plays at some of our work events. I play guitar and sing over his keyboards and backing track, but now it will be the Kaossilator instead while I am one-handed!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: SteveG on January 12, 2009, 11:55:23 AMA guy on another forum damaged his left hand, and removed the cast early to be able to play, making things worse in the process. No idea what your recovery time should be, but dont push it!!

Thanks, that's good info. I'll do what the doc says. He gave an indication that it was typically 4 to 6 weeks.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Good luck, and hope you have a speedy recovery! You'll REALLY want to play that guitar after 4-6 weeks apart...  :)

ianjm

Its not the same but I chipped a bone in my wrist and was in plaster and that was six weeks and then you have to build up the strength   up again due to muscle wastage.

Every time I buy am amp I get knobbled, had a Crate gtx65 and did my wrist in. In november I bought a little vox for use in the house, the day after I broke my kneecap at work and have been off since.

Im buying sod all from now on lol

Ferryman

Sounds like I'll be out for a couple of months then :-(

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I think that the worst will be bleeding fingers from not playing for so long! Three weeks since I picked up a guitar and tonight my fingers are burning.

Good luck with the op. I hope its successful.   ;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

hewhoiscalledj

you can do what i do at work since i cant play guitar there... i drew up an entire guitar fretboard and tacked it on my wall. then i play the music in my head as i visualize on the chart. i've been able to write a handful of songs this way; or at least complete songs i already had. it's quite the practice tool for when you dont or cant have a guitar handy (pun not intended)