"Your Days Are Numbered" original by Ted (Protestfest)

Started by Ted, January 28, 2012, 08:06:22 PM

Ted

Your Days Are Numbered (Uke Version)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
ProtestSongs (banner image missing)

I wrote this one in 1987 when I got involved in the protests against Arizona's Governor Evan Mecham. It was the first time that my high school band got back together. We performed a bunch of "Rock Against Mecham" events.

If you were to read Mecham's Wikipedia page, it would explain some of the references in the lyrics, but here's a good start:

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_MechamAs governor, Mecham was plagued by controversy and became the first U.S. governor to simultaneously face removal from office through impeachment, a scheduled recall election, and a felony indictment. He was the first Arizona governor to be impeached.

Your Days Are Numbered
©1987, 2012 Ted Johnson
Me: bass, ukulele, keyboards, voice, MBR drums

You claimed victory. You must've felt like a looter at a riot scene.
You made some speech about a big u-turn.
Now you're going down your list of all the witches to burn.
Your plaid suit looks real cute, but your Bluebook price is going down, down, down, down.

Your days are numbered. A dark cloud
Is hanging over you and your crowd.
You can blackball your bad guys 'till you're blue in the face,
It won't whitewall your dark side. Your days are numbered.

You pace the showroom floor. I always wondered how they got those models through the door.
Clinging to your small circle of friends;
Just more incompetent foxes picked to guard the hens.
Your toupee looks okay, but your ship of rats is gonna drown, drown, drown, drown.

Your days are numbered. (etc.)

(Repeat first verse)

Living out your dream. Every time you tried, you got creamed.
Fantasies are always so extreme. You were the worst of three evils with a master scheme.
Are you trying to build a Deseret; no working women, no blacks, no gays.

Your days are numbered. (etc.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hook

It's a regular uketopia here at songcrafters! This is a great protest tune brother! I dig that bass breakdown at about 1:50 and I love the line "you were the worst of 3 evils". Well done.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

great recording ted and a greaty song too, uke sounds great something i appreciatecos i know how hard they are to record.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

This must be the year of the UKE !!!!

Great recording Ted ! Love the bass !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Krasi

Yes, I also noticed it's becoming a fashion - I didn't even know what Uke is before lol...
But it is sounding great and that bass line is fantastic too!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Ted

Quote from: Hook on January 28, 2012, 10:43:14 PMI love the line "you were the worst of 3 evils". Well done.

That's a reference to how Mecham won office in a three-way race with two other uninspiring candidates:

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Mecham#Political_careerMecham won the election with a 40% plurality while [Carolyn] Warner and [Bill] Schulz received 34% and 26% respectively.

This is a another demo recording for my reunited high school band, The Nutrients. When/if we perform this, it'll be with guitar, not uke. And it'll be with my trusty Ibanez (fretted, electric) bass, not with my fretless acoustic bass.

It's fun to make demos this way, because the live band versions remain a mystery until we get together. It's like hearing them fresh -- and being tempted to use the demo as a baseline of how the song "should" sound.

ORH: The uke is not only hard to record, it's hard to play well (for a bassist and guitarist like me). The reason the uke sounds slightly out of tune in this recording is because I'm gripping down on those strings with guitar pressure, making the uke go sharp. (Zooey Deschanel, I ain't.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony W

Now that's a protest song. The only thing political I remember from High School was that Gopher from "The Love Boat" was an Iowan congressman.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Quote from: Ted on January 29, 2012, 10:32:44 AM). The reason the uke sounds slightly out of tune in this recording is because I'm gripping down on those strings with guitar pressure, making the uke go sharp. (Zooey Deschanel, I ain't.)
Damn those strong manly hands ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

Quote from: Tony W on January 30, 2012, 08:19:37 AMNow that's a protest song. The only thing political I remember from High School was that Gopher from "The Love Boat" was an Iowan congressman.

I was out of high school a few years when I wrote this song.

Speaking of "The Love Boat" -- about the time I wrote this song, I met a great guitarist in the Phoenix area named Gavin McCloud, who had to follow all introductions with, "Really. That's my name."
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

OsCKilO

Now This IS Ted Johnson !

I love your Lyrics!!!

Superb Tune!!  That Bass is Like bubbling lava! And that uke is sweet as wine!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy