Zooey Deschanel can't (and shouldn't) sing

Started by Ted, January 23, 2012, 10:43:46 PM

Ted

I nearly posted this in "What are you listening to right now?" bit it didn't seem quite like the right place.

I totally agree with the narrator of this video (except for the creepy, stalker moment he has about Joseph Gordon Levitt):

Well, okay. Of course she can sing; a little better than I can. It's just that she's not good enough at it to justify this lame part-time job she's created.

I kind of feel sorry for her, you know. She's successful, but chronically typecast. She's always The Girlfriend. I understand that. She wants to try something different. I've seen her in a few things. She must have some kind of clause in every contract: "In return for X million dollars, and playing The Girlfriend yet again, the studio will write a scene where Ms. Deschanel sings a song, and other characters will respond favorably to the quality of her singing."

Maybe it's a blend of a cry for help and extortion. Somebody pitch me a script where I can play a different character and I won't insist on singing! But until you do, this She & Him business is going to continue.

I mean, here we are on Songcrafters.org, with some of the best talent anywhere. And Zooey Deschanel is out there trying to pass for a singer, and not doing it well.

Life isn't fair.

Just had to get that off my chest.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Burtog

I disagree also :o

The guy doing this vid is creepy and obvously has a problem with women.

She's a great singer and one I've been listening a lot to lately.

In fact in a few days I will have a cover of (She & Him) finsihed which is a colab with Mbee, just finishing the guitars and mixing and I will get it posted.

.............you might enjoy it Ted!?! ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

andy casson

Hmmm, IMHO she was great in Elf, and I loved her in Yes Man- some great tracks in there (although the other female singer in the wacky band has the really good voice).

andy

Oldrottenhead

i've never heard of her, but i think she sings ok.i remember a similar debate years ago about debbie harry, and 30 plus years later her songs still stand the test of time.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

I'd rather hear Zooey sing than Aldo .. but then again ... I wrote a song about her ::) ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Quote from: Geir on January 24, 2012, 02:05:42 AMI'd rather hear Zooey sing than Aldo .. but then again ... I wrote a song about her ::) ;D

Wasn't it about her sister?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann