Help with BR 800 drivers - Wave Converter no longer working

Started by Ferryman, January 22, 2012, 12:55:22 PM

Ferryman

Need some help please. I've installed the BR800 driver software, which I never had done before, and now I am having problems with Wave Converter. Previously (when the BR800 driver was not installed), everytime I went into USB/Wave Converter from the menu, you would get Windows recognizing a new USB device and Wave Converter worked fine. Since I have installed the BR800 driver, that doesn't happen anymore. The BR800 is recognized as an external drive (Win Explorer now shows BOSS_BR-800 as the E: drive), there are no dialog boxes opening. I guess that is probably a good thing, but the issue is that Wave Converter doesn't work anymore. When I select the E: drive from the Wave Converter menu, the program just hangs and does not display any track information.

Anyone got any ideas?

UPDATE: It does appear to work now, but it's incredibly slow - took about 4 minutes just to display the track info, I am trying to change to another song and that is taking minutes.

Finally, if I am using the BR800 as an external soundcard, does it need to be in USB mode or will it work in "song" mode?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on January 22, 2012, 12:55:22 PMNeed some help please. I've installed the BR800 driver software, which I never had done before, and now I am having problems with Wave Converter. Previously (when the BR800 driver was not installed), everytime I went into USB/Wave Converter from the menu, you would get Windows recognizing a new USB device and Wave Converter worked fine. Since I have installed the BR800 driver, that doesn't happen anymore. The BR800 is recognized as an external drive (Win Explorer now shows BOSS_BR-800 as the E: drive), there are no dialog boxes opening. I guess that is probably a good thing, but the issue is that Wave Converter doesn't work anymore. When I select the E: drive from the Wave Converter menu, the program just hangs and does not display any track information.

Anyone got any ideas?

UPDATE: It does appear to work now, but it's incredibly slow - took about 4 minutes just to display the track info, I am trying to change to another song and that is taking minutes.

I don't know what's causing that, but I have a few questions that might help to narrow down the possibilities.

• Which firmware version does your BR-800 have? The latest is version 1.10 which corrects a lot of problems.

• Which version of BR Wave Converter are you using? To find out, click the system menu icon ( - top-left of main window) and select "About BR Series Wave Converter".

The latest version is 3.10.

• Did you select [MENU] – [USB] – [WAVE CONVERTER] on the BR-800 before opening the BR Wave Converter program? The software only looks for an attached BR once on startup. If you start the program first, then connect the BR, the program won't see it. You'll have to close the program then re-open it to detect the BR.

QuoteFinally, if I am using the BR800 as an external soundcard, does it need to be in USB mode or will it work in "song" mode?

I assume the BR should be in normal song mode. Maybe a BR-800 user could confirm that? Geir? Rob? Anyone?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

By the way, have you read the Readme file that comes with the drivers? It's an HTML file which you open in your web browser. For your convenience, I'm attaching it in PDF format.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

Thanks 64G. I haven't updated the firmware because I don't have an SD card reader, I'm running 3.10 of Wave Converter, but it's been working fine up until now. I did check the readme and followed the start sequence. It is working now, but just running really slowly - every action takes minutes to complete.

One thing that has changed is that my PC is now running Windows 7, which could be causing an issue. I know you won't be able to help with that! I might call Roland help and see what they can suggest. Thanks for all your help anyway.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on January 22, 2012, 03:39:03 PMI haven't updated the firmware because I don't have an SD card reader,

Actually, you do. When the BR-800 is in storage mode ([MENU] – [USB] – [BACKUP]), it appears to your computer as an SD card reader. You can drag files back and forth between your computer and the SD card in your BR-800 just as if the SD card was in an external USB SD card reader. The only difference is that the BR-800 has USB 1.1 so it's much slower than a USB 2.0 card reader would be. But, for copying the update files to your SD card, that won't matter.

So, I'd recommend updating your BR-800 to version 1.10. If the problem persists after that, then call Roland tech support.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on January 22, 2012, 03:39:03 PMIt is working now, but just running really slowly - every action takes minutes to complete.

I believe Geir and a few others had problems with extremly slow communications before updating to version 1.10. Not specifically with the wave converter, but I still think the old version could be the source of your trouble. When Geir updated to version 1.10, I believe the slow communications problem disappeared. Perhaps he'll confirm that when he reads this.

Anyway, I think you should update to version 1.10. If nothing else, at least you'll get the new editing features.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

Mine was slow as molasses on Windows 7 prior to flashing to 1.10

Another problem that I noticed, but it's been so long that I've forgotten most of the details, but I was running one PC on XP and another one on Windows 7. When I'd connect the BR to both computers individually, I had issues, but don't recall exactly what they were. When I decided to only connect the device to a single computer (at the same time I upgraded to 1.10) I've not had any trouble.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

kurrykid

Follow this thread and specifically look at the last 2 posts.  I struggled for a long time and finally figured it out (with awesome help).  It was on a MAC but it is worth trying because it fixed it for me.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=10905.0

This is what ultimately fixed it for me: "The culprit was a start up item from Native Instruments, presumably to authenticate software or hardware."

I sure hope this helps.

Geir

I can confirm that the 1.10 upgrade indeed speed things up !! Large SD-cards do slow things down tho, especially when it's got many songs on it ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

OK, good advice all. I'd put off the upgrade because it involved SD cards, I now know how to get it done. I also have a big SD card so appreciate that may make a difference.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR