*Alex Hutchings*

Started by Burtog, January 21, 2012, 02:06:12 PM

Burtog

Thought I would check some more Alex Hutchings vids out on youtube after seeing some of his promo stuff in the NAMM thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjrKBXImmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MFUiNQOydM
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Monster player...........I love his style.  How did he get so good?  Deal with beelzebub.........or just old fashioned hard work.......maybe he was given guitar as a baby to play with.......fantastic player.

Humble guy...............
QuoteI don't think I do anything that's much different to anyone else, I just use the standard modes from major, or alter the mixolydian if it needs altering. I use chromatic notes for extra tension and that's where it sounds a bit more exotic. I'm not getting into too much exotic scales right now, but I'm sure I will one day soon.

QuoteI think the more you practice your positions of scales and things you develop an internal picture of the guitar neck. You get a sense of where your fingers are actually without looking. My first finger in on the G note of the 12 fret, I just know if I put my 2nd and 4th finger down its going to be A and B, or if I skip a string and go to a high string there's going to be a high G, that's what comes with rigorous practice. The kind of internal picture of the neck is important I think.

QuoteThe scales are just your standard major and minor pentatonics in their positions and major scales, modes, melodic minor and modes, a couple of diminished scales and augmented scale – that's it!! The rest is what you do with it. Playing accurate and clean is again taking the time to play each note not too fast before you ready.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Yes he`s extremely good!! The quotes from him you used BB are exactly how i play. Learn your scales.

Use pentatonic as your guide and start throwing in the modes here and there.
After time your vision of the fretboard becomes bigger and wider and than you start
using imagination to build your own style. There are so many elements.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Burtog

He definately makes me want to learn how to play the guitar properly, which I haven't bothered to do in the last 20+ years. Dont want to become a 'fret-wanker' but feel very limited after watching people like him.

Anyone got any scale patterns they can post??
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gnasty on January 22, 2012, 08:26:34 AMUse pentatonic as your guide and start throwing in the modes here and there.
After time your vision of the fretboard becomes bigger and wider and than you start
using imagination to build your own style. There are so many elements.
I agree with this 100%, its the same thing i do.  The Pentatonic is the road map, the main highway, and then add little side roads off the main highway for different modes, scales, chord shapes, etc.  It is real good to hear somebody as good as he is describe this, and see how far you can go with it.  He is my new guitar hero.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Burtog

Here's a good one, well it must be good cos my 2yr old daughter is dancing to it as I listen.

Think he is playing a Fret-King here??

My little finger will never be able to cover that much ground no matter how much I practice! :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6SJjH-Bdvs

Love the strat tone on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pznzcvh_XYA
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Quote from: Burtog on January 22, 2012, 08:48:23 AMMy little finger will never be able to cover that much ground no matter how much I practice! :-\
The man is unnatural........he is a monster........burn him!!!!!!!!!!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 22, 2012, 10:49:13 AMThe man is unnatural........he is a monster........burn him!!!!!!!!!!!

You jealous arsonist!  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Facemask93

I was talking to the Roland guy in Andersons Music a few weeks ago , and he said Alex pulls those weird faces naturally while he plays  , and he could not believe how good he was just being in the same room up close

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Bluesberry

Check out this vid, the tuning he uses is all 4ths!!! EADGCF....what a monster player.  Talk about an interesting tuning, bugger for the chords......but for scales.....hmmmmmm, maybe he is onto something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0F0A6Du-k

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand