Open Mic Mayhem

Started by Blooby, January 20, 2012, 09:58:00 AM

Blooby

I had a nice diversion last night. John and I hit an acoustic open mic, and it only had a handful of would-be performers. Immediately before us, a returning poet (one Reverend Angel Dust) got up to screech about religion as well as economic distress.  Thankfully, he got off within three minutes, which is just the correct amount of time to fully appreciate the good reverend (Think Exidor from Mork and Mindy only in a sombrero and plastic poncho).

The act after ours asked me to sit in. I recall "Steamroller Blues," "Heard it in a Love Song," and a few other tunes I had never heard of. There was some fumbling for another tune (by then, there were two percussionists and a bass player on stage as well), when I said, "Would you guys care to do something a tad weirder? I could teach it to you in 30 seconds." Everybody seemed game, and with that, we broke into "Hold Your Head up" by Argent. John sang his heart out, bless him, and all seemed okay until the solo section. That's about when I remembered the delay pedal at my feet. First, a setting for backwards guitar. I take a 30 second solo or so, and I can see the concerned expressions of the audience members. This is especially true of my girlfriend who is giving me one of those "Not the time or place" stern-type expressions. I then throw it to the Echoplex emulation, and crank up the delay level as well as number of repeats until the classic regeneration feedback starts to occur. The cyclonic delays are washing over the top of the music.

Unbeknownest to me at this point, the singer/guitarist who is trying to follow my hands looks at John with raised eyebrows. John looks back at him and does a cartoonish shrug of the shoulders. This is later corroborated by my girlfriend.

Back to delays feeding back on themselves. I then start increasing the delay time, and the pitch starts dropping. I have an epphany at this point that perhaps I am the only person in the establishment who is enjoying my extended revelry. I hit the button to start a fadeout, and that's when I give John the nod and we go back into the next verse.

My last memory of the night was being in a parking lot of a closed pizza parlor, having a good laugh with John.

Peace.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SE

Well Blooby I think a good night was had by all, would love to have seen it, the impromptu jam sounds really fun, think you,ll be forgiven for giving it the guitar hero, I,ve heard your guitar playing I,m sure it was class.
Now you,ve got the bug I,m sure there will be many more outings, have fun, how about a recording maybe? that would be cool.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tony W

That sounds like the hippy trippy version of Marty McFly

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

That sounds wicked......If I was there I would have been yelling encouragement at the wild freak-out middle solo section..........go man go.........I bet there were a few in the audience that could appreciate a good delay fueled freakout........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Quote from: Blooby on January 20, 2012, 09:58:00 AMI had a nice diversion last night. John and I hit an acoustic open mic, and it only had a handful of would-be performers. Immediately before us, a returning poet (one Reverend Angel Dust) got up to screech about religion as well as economic distress.  Thankfully, he got off within three minutes, which is just the correct amount of time to fully appreciate the good reverend (Think Exidor from Mork and Mindy only in a sombrero and plastic poncho).

My last memory of the night was being in a parking lot of a closed pizza parlor, having a good laugh with John.

Lmao!..Sadly i remember that Exidor episode as a kid but damn,it makes your story hilarious. It`s crazy nights like that, that you often remember the most. Sounded like you had fun which is the point!

Thanks for sharing!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity