Get some MoPADs for your monitors

Started by Ferryman, January 19, 2012, 05:26:17 AM

Ferryman

If, like me, you just had your speakers/monitors stood on a desk, then you are a bad person. You need to isolate them from the desk to stop unwanted interaction, and you can do that pretty cheaply with these wonderful things:

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

Made quite a difference to the sound from my monitors.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

fortunately I had some foam packing material a while back, and cut it to fit my monitors, so I'm a good person  :P

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i just threw out a lot of packaging from new freezer today, and binmen just took it all away. a stanley knife and i coulda made some mibbes.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Quote from: Tony W on January 20, 2012, 09:08:42 AMfortunately I had some foam packing material a while back, and cut it to fit my monitors, so I'm a good person  :P

Cheap but effective! Jim, you could've done. This stuff is supposedly the "right stuff" but I bet they just cut up their old freezer packing and stick a label on it.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Interesting, I've been wondering about this (more along the lines of the packing material approach, I must admit). Mine are on stands, but otherwise, well... I guess I'm just a bad person...

Something I have done, though, is to sort out the walls behind them. I read a while back that you're also a bad person if you place your speakers with reflective surfaces behind them, and you're ESPECIALLY bad if you place them in a corner.

Well, I can't do nothing about the corner thing - I can't fit in the corner with a guitar or bass if I put the speakers in the middle of the room! :D - but I did think "OK, I'll hang some cloth stuff around the walls behind/beside the speakers..."

Holy Moly! It works! The speakers have never sounded this good before...

I know some folks on other forums who will have kittens because I haven't moved the walls and applied all manner of special acoustic treatment techniques and equipment, but my old rugs and rags have satisfied me for the moment... now, wheres all that fridge/freezer packaging I stored away just in case it might be useful (I bet the missus has got rid of it while I wasn't looking... "what are you keeping this old cr@p for???" - to isolate my monitors, woman, what do you think?!!!)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1