Confession time!

Started by StevieM, January 09, 2009, 07:13:32 PM

Glenn Mitchell

+1 steve. well said.
Sometimes, and perhaps for the most of us, I think it's just having a constant awareness of songwriting.
Hmmm Maybe there's a song in that..
It doesn't just hit you, you hit it.
It doesn't just "come to you" you go to it.
Once you have a starter phrase or a riff, it helps to get organized and maybe write out what the song is "about" and where it should go.
Then don't worry about the final words, just write what you want to say and modify.
Just one method
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Greeny

Just go for it. Nobody on here will ever take the p*ss, because all of us are lacking in something - whether it's our vocal, guitar, songwriting, or lyric skills. The beauty of a place like this is that it gives us a chance to collaborate with people who can complete the missing parts of the jigsaw. And just listening to some of the talent on here has been an inspiration to sing / play / write better.

I can't read music, I taught myself the guitar, and I don't know my pentatonic scales from my elbow, but it hasn't stopped me!  :D

Get your stuff up!

Tony

As Greeny said:
Just go for it. Nobody on here will ever take the p*ss, because all of us are lacking in something -

and I think I am lacking in sense.  I've been using the MBR a lot (sorry no tracks yet but I will get there) but tonight I was using it to practice songs that I thought I knew.  I should have been doing this all along. In particular I was playing songs that I normally play with my practice band (gtr/keys/bass/drum)  and I had assumed that everything was ok.  The difference tonight was that I just recorded the songs with a metronome in the background.  Not bad but I'm not as tight as I thought I was, not by a long chalk.  I love this little machine - always finding new ways to highlight my deficiencies.

Oldrottenhead

i very rarely write lyrics with a pen,

i usually listen to the music, maybe with an idea/theme/title and just let what comes out come out and get it onto the mbr in a stream of thought uninhibited kinda way.

then i get a pen and write down whats came out, then i start tinkering.

sometimes the lyrics can come in one go very fast other times i might get a line at a time but each line seems to inform the next line  sorta thing if you know what i mean.

anyway i believe there are a few clinical psychologists and maybe a few psychiatrists on the forum , maybe they can do the honour of give my lyrics a more profound interpretation.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

dragonshade

I agree with above.

A few will be truely exceptional, but most of us are just messing around, and I think we all LOVE to hear others' music, regardless of how good. Lyrics for me have always been a challenge, for collaboration we need more like you.

Flash Harry

I thought that they were handing out free drugs......
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

wooperman

The original post could be a song idea. I'm always surprised what I find as "good". As long as it's honest, it usually gets a passing grade in my book. Even the "best" pop songs sound flat if they are fakin' it.
  Make a song about how you can't do anything well and show it!

StevieM

I've missed getting a lot of these, just catching up now. Can't answer 'em all, except to say, thanks a lot guys, you're stuck with me now!!!! :)
I've posted a couple of things on collabs now, brave huh??

Wooperman, that sounds like a challenge, got an idea already! ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

wooperman

I guess an easier way I coulda said it is : One man's $h!t is another man's hit...
sorry ma.

StevieM

Good idea though. Half way written now, sort of ;)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!