Live PA help

Started by BAG, January 04, 2012, 04:07:12 PM

Tony W

If you get a separate bass bin like Flash suggests, you'll need an amp to drive it as well. Many amps on the market now have a built in crossover as well. My QSC amp has one, but I think it's static at 100hz as well.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Bass bins need the 3db point at about 400Hz.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

BAG

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 06, 2012, 04:06:35 AMHigh power passive crossovers are quite lossy, you're better off doing it at low level and amplifying the individual outputs separately.

That's the problem. That isn't possible for the top bins without pulling apart the powered mixer to get between the mixer and built-in amp. And after some reading last night i found out exactly what you say, that the passives will most likely affect sound quality as they are quite lossy.

Running the separate bass channel is no problem and most self powered subs have their own crossover so that is the easy part. The problem is that without using a crossover to send the highs and mids to the top boxes they would still be getting the full range and distort on the lower frequencies.

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 06, 2012, 04:06:35 AMYou can make a passive low level crossover simply and cheaply, with a handfull of components, some bread board and a soldering iron. If you're interested, let me know.
If it as cheap as you say i might give it a go and see how good the sound is.
Just a roadie again.....