New Year Strings?

Started by 64Guitars, January 01, 2012, 07:57:20 PM

64Guitars

I've only changed my bass strings once in about 42 years! I don't like bright-sounding bass strings anyway, so leaving them on forever suits me fine, especially considering the price of bass strings. When I bought the bass circa 1970, it had flat-wound strings on it which was fine (easier on the fingers). When I changed them about 20 years ago, I put on halfwounds, though I'm not sure why. I doubt that I'll ever change them again.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Older bass strings have a nice, mellow sound that I (apparently) prefer as well. I just didn't realize the difference - It's huge!

I hope it doesn't take that long to break them in. I've learned my lesson...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

chip

I must be the odd one out here. I like new bass strings, mind you I was a full time bassmith before I swapped out to guitar. I liked them when playing live but they do cost. I did use the rotosound yellow bass strings, not to bad on the price front. The bass at home has the originals still on from 6 months ago and the strings sound as good ( almost ) as new. On recording though I go for the more mellow bottom end approach.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Kenny B

I can't remember anymore ... I used to change them on a couple
bass's every month or two when I used to play out a long time ago.
Didn't need to of course.  In recent years I figured I'd change a
a needed guitar or bass when I changed the clocks and the batteries in the
smoke detectors ... but now I can't remember if I changed the smoke
detector batteries anymore ...  ;D
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

fenderbender

An older pal of mine who was a pro guitar player in a big band years ago used to boil his strings
tried it a couple of times when money was really tight and it did brighten up the strings --
but that was back in the days when you could'nt get cheapish light gauge strings -
the bass strings then could have been used to tie up a ship ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

chip

These have good reviews and they really are cheap, they do bass as well
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/707-legacy_nickel_wound_pro_tone_electric_strings

I haven't tried them but I reckon I should.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Gnasty

I`ve used Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, GHS, D`Addario. Every string you can imagine but nothing comes close
to Elixirs in my opinion. In the 3 years i`ve been using them, i have never broken one ever and i play my acoustic
hard sometimes. I`m just changing my acoustic today after 6 months i think which others would be sounding crap after 2. I use them on my electrics as well.

They are more pricey but never will rust and their tone is sweet. What more do you want from strings!
I don`t ask people to use Elixirs, i tell them too! Damn i should be their spokesperson!  8)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Geir

Your story is pretty much the same as your's Eric. And actually I've found I save money using elixirs, they may cost twice as much as other good strings, but lasts at least 3-4 times longer.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

I rarely change mine - only for breakages. I'll change the whole lot when that happens though.

I do clean the strings from time to time though.

I think I've gone 5 or 6 years with the same strings on certain guitars. I don't notice the difference to be honest.

Farrell Jackson

This is an old topic but I missed it the first time around so here goes. When I was in a gigging band with two scheduled practices a week and at least 4 gigs a month I would change the strings on my acoustic and electric about 4 times a year. When I broke a string I would just replace the string unless I felt the other strings were getting too dead sounding. I always wipe my strings and guitar body down after every playing session using just a dry cloth. I slip the cloth under each individual string, pulling up and run it up and down the neck a couple of times. It's amazing the amount of black gunk that the cloth removes. I've never changed the strings on my bass guitars and it's been years that I've owned them. Now that I'm not gigging anymore I still wipe them down after each play but rarely change my guitar strings....I find it easier to just buy a new one with new strings if it starts to bug me, lol!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?