New Year Strings?

Started by 64Guitars, January 01, 2012, 07:57:20 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on January 02, 2012, 12:03:42 PMI change mine all the time! I have a real high acid rate in my sweat and it just destroys strings. After trying out all the coated brands I settled on the exp 113 custom lights (11's for acoustic). If I have a 4 hour cover gig I'll kill them by the end and one will pop on the next night if I don't change them.

I haven't tried them myself, but I wonder if these would help?

http://www.bigbends.com/nutsauce/agora.cgi?product=String%20Cleaning%20Wipes&xm=on

Might be worth a try. If they allowed you to change your strings every other gig instead of every gig, they could save you a lot of money and hassle.

BigBends also have other products that help reduce string breakage. I use their Nut Sauce which solved the tuning problems I was having from strings sticking in the nut slots. But Nut Sauce can also be used on the bridge saddles and string trees to reduce breakage. And they have string sleeves which help to prevent breakage behind the bridge on certain bridge and guitar types.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chip

Quote from: Hook on January 02, 2012, 12:03:42 PMI change mine all the time! I have a real high acid rate in my sweat and it just destroys strings. After trying out all the coated brands I settled on the exp 113 custom lights (11's for acoustic). If I have a 4 hour cover gig I'll kill them by the end and one will pop on the next night if I don't change them.

Bloomin heck Hook " 4 hour covers gig" we do 1 & 1/2 max and thats split in two.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Hook

Thanks 64 I'll check those out! I started sanding my bridge with a real fine paper every 3rd or 4th change and that seems to help out alot with unnecessary breaking. I also bang on  the guitar like it was a drum so I can pass only so much of the blame. But in the summertime (outdoor patio type gigs here) morning after the gig my strings have turned black, and since I play so hard I'll lose the G or D within the next 1st set if I don't put on new ones.
I like to order from www.stringsbymail.com, $9 a pack once I got a by one get one free (no limit) deal from them a few years ago and you can order single coated strings, which is great. I have so many E's & A's in a box, but I need a gross of G's & D"s. I'm usually nickle and diming it so it's $12 a pack at Guitar center here in town, %15 off if you buy ten packs so when I can drop a $100 there it goes, maybe a month and a half's worth of strings if I'm lucky.
I'm sure wiping my strings down more regularly would help tons but I always forget!!Perhaps some "treated wipes" might help jog my memory! Thanks

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

QuoteBloomin heck Hook " 4 hour covers gig" we do 1 & 1/2 max and thats split in two.
A standard solo gig here in Tampa is, say, a 10:00pm-2:00am I usually do 3-1 hour sets with 2- 1/2 breaks some clubs want 4- 45 min set's but they don't want you to stop 15 min early so you always end up giving more. If the tips are flowin that's cool but if not, well...I'm tired! I'm not a big talker and I prefer to play rather than sit at the bar so I'll often find myself doing 1:20+ min sets it all depends on the place and crowd and pay. It used to be the standard was $150 solo, $250 duo but with the economy that's not always the case anymore there's always some joker willing to play for $75, (no offense if your that joker!) It used to be this was my bread and butter but now with the daytime music thing I make almost the same with an acoustic guitar and a small duffel bag! I know for some it's not about the $ but this is how I support my family! I just fell into a duo situation with a drummer I played with once about a year ago so I might be getting back into the night time scene again.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

pjd1

I used to use around 20/30 sets of earnie balls a year , every month is know the norm , not playimg live as much these days ! the tone is better on new strings without a doubt .

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

hooper

3-4 new sets of Elixers a year for the main acoustic (Seagul S6 CW) ...
2 sets of GHS Boomers a year for the main electric (Epi Dot 335)
The other axes only get what's necessary  ;)
If my bass strings are worn out.. I don't know it  :D
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

chip

Quote from: Hook on January 02, 2012, 01:20:10 PM
QuoteBloomin heck Hook " 4 hour covers gig" we do 1 & 1/2 max and thats split in two.
A standard solo gig here in Tampa is, say, a 10:00pm-2:00am I usually do 3-1 hour sets with 2- 1/2 breaks some clubs want 4- 45 min set's but they don't want you to stop 15 min early so you always end up giving more. If the tips are flowin that's cool but if not, well...I'm tired! I'm not a big talker and I prefer to play rather than sit at the bar so I'll often find myself doing 1:20+ min sets it all depends on the place and crowd and pay. It used to be the standard was $150 solo, $250 duo but with the economy that's not always the case anymore there's always some joker willing to play for $75, (no offense if your that joker!) It used to be this was my bread and butter but now with the daytime music thing I make almost the same with an acoustic guitar and a small duffel bag! I know for some it's not about the $ but this is how I support my family! I just fell into a duo situation with a drummer I played with once about a year ago so I might be getting back into the night time scene again.

Hi Hook. No I am not the $75 joker :) but your'e right about some others doing it for less than they should.
£200 is about the mark here ( pub type gigs), no matter how many are in the band..
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Flash Harry

Have you seen the price of a set of bass strings?  THey turn dead faster than I can afford to buy a new set. I have tried boiling them up with washing up liquid - makes no difference really, they brighten up for a short while and start sounding dead again very quickly. Not worth the effort of removing them all and then restringing after the big cook up session.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bobtail

My guitar tech, Egor, changes my guitar strings after every nightly show. ;D

Naaah ,not really

I change mine  @ twice a year on each of my 3 geetars,when I make a CD or if I get a gig.I use Ernie ball slinkys 10-48s that I just buy off the local music shop.
Its amazing how much my tone improves when I do !!! :)

Now Egor,have you wrapped my axes in silk and thrown my diamond picks to my fans ? :-*
Thankyou.

launched

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 03, 2012, 04:20:54 AMHave you seen the price of a set of bass strings?  THey turn dead faster than I can afford to buy a new set. I have tried boiling them up with washing up liquid - makes no difference really, they brighten up for a short while and start sounding dead again very quickly. Not worth the effort of removing them all and then restringing after the big cook up session.

Kyser's Dr. Stringfellow can help with that - If you can stand looking at the creepy dude on the bottle...

I just changed my bass strings after three years and am horrified. Everything sounds clunky, springy and squeaky. I had to turn all my settings down, my pedals sound different and it's taking time to get used to it all. All that and more for $25US. I'll get over it and deal, but it was such a shocker - Something I was really looking forward to because I don't get to buy strings that often.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover