New Year Strings?

Started by 64Guitars, January 01, 2012, 07:57:20 PM

64Guitars

Well, it's the start of a new year and this seems like a good time to put a nice new set of strings on the guitar. I have a couple of sets. Will I put them on? Nope. I can't bear to throw away strings that aren't broken. So I tend to leave them on till one breaks. I used to put a new set on about once a year and keep the old ones as spares in case I break a string and don't have any new ones around. The trouble with that is that the old ones tend to accumulate and now I've got a stack of old, dead strings. So, for the past few years, I've been replacing broken strings with old ones from my stack of spares.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else does, so I thought I'd create this poll. It might be interesting to see how the majority answer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

OsCKilO

Replace individual strings when they break....

Have to as this suits me and paying live.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Tony W

I really don't know how to answer this as a multiple guitar owner, my needs and desires change. On my every day players, I change strings religiously. Prior to a gig, I've been putting on a fresh set of strings. On the guitars that I don't play often, I won't change strings unless I see a bit of rust building up. I've never put bass strings on, and had a bass for 2 years.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

peterp

I'm not fond of strings that sound dead or have build up rust.
So I change them fairly regularly, especially on the current favorite.
All the guitars got a cleaning, polish and new set of strings just before Christmas.

Except my bass, I've never changed strings on it yet. Bought a new set maybe a year ago but never put them on.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Geir

I used to change every 3-4 months when the strings started to sound dull (sometimes more frequently), now I change every 2-3 years when the strings start to sound dull :D .... yep ... I love those Elixir strings ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Groundy

When I was playing every night I used to change once a month, Now if they sound a bit dull I use another guitar..lol.....Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ferryman

Should change more frequently but a) don't have much time and would rather be recording, and b) can't be arsed. Where's my guitar tech when you need him?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

chip

I use EXP110 Coated Nickel Wound, Light 10s and the acoustic equivalent. They last
 quite well. However I am partial to rotosound yellows too, which seem to sound much brighter
 but don't last. The Dano has the yellows , the Gibo, the EXP10s which sees more live action.
  As for frequency, changing strings on the Gibo is a great chore as it takes considerable time for the guitar to settle down after a change, in fact any change of temp, strings, movement causes the guitar to play up, it's just one of those Gibson things, I dread to think what a new ones like, this ones 21 years old so you would have thought it would have settled down by now. Still when it's good it's great.

So about every 2 months electric, 3 to 4 acoustic
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Hook

I change mine all the time! I have a real high acid rate in my sweat and it just destroys strings. After trying out all the coated brands I settled on the exp 113 custom lights (11's for acoustic). If I have a 4 hour cover gig I'll kill them by the end and one will pop on the next night if I don't change them.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely