NAMM 15-18th Jan 2009

Started by lemonstar, January 09, 2009, 11:38:41 AM

lemonstar

I'm scouting aroudn looking for info on any new or updated compact recorders that might get announced at the NAMM show and I found this at:-
http://mud.namm.musicradar.com/press...able-recorder/

"Zoom H4n is next-gen portable recorder
brogerson / Blog / Wed 7th Jan 2009 11:41 am UTC

Zoom is all set to launch the H4n, which it describes as its "most sophisticated handheld recorder to date". This is an evolution of the H4 and H2, and offers a number of new features and improvements.

The built-in X/Y condenser mics allow variable recording patterns at either 90° or 120°, and there's a digitally controlled mic preamp on board. Internal and external mics can be used simultaneously for 4-channel recording.

Additionally, there are Hi-Z inputs for recording guitar and bass, the option to play back at different speeds, built-in studio effects and 50+ guitar and bass amp modelling settings.

You'll also find a large LCD screen, what's said to be a more intuitive interface and an onboard reference speaker.

The H4n can record at 24-bit/96kHz quality and on SD/SDHC cards of up to 32GB capacity. Its said to be a robust device (there's a rubberised shock-resistant body), while a new 'stamina mode' promises 10 hours of continuous recording on a single set of AA batteries.

Bundled with the recorder are a 1GB SD card, windscreen, mic clip adapter, AC adapter, USB cable, case and a copy of Cubase LE. A remote control is an optional extra.

The H4n will be showcased at CES in Las Vegas this week and at the Winter NAMM show next. The price is expected to be around $500"

The small LCD screen really put me off this device.

Greeny

I'd rather have 3 BR's for $500 and some change for plectrums and beer!  :D

64Guitars

Too early to say for certain, but I suspect that the H4n only has 4 tracks (versus the Micro BR's 32) and lacks a drum machine.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BossMicroBRew

My unprofessional opinion...it's a Zoom.  Though functional, it can't be that awesome.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

lemonstar

Wow! Easy boys, all I was saying was.... I was just looking to see what might be announced...why do zoom get such a universally bad reaction? I knew a guitarists with a zoom effects pedal that was good value for money (I'll know the model when I hear it) although some of the effects might have sounded a bit OTT - perhaps they had 1 or 2 bad products - what is it with them - sound quality, reliability, support? Genuinely I'm hoping for something new or updated from Boss - I searched but so far I've found no hint of anything from them.

SteveG

Few features on there that may give Boss a kick in the ass to upgrade tho!

Kody

That's what I was thinking. This has probably been asked before but, is the MBR upgradeable? My BR900 came out with version 2 a while ago. Is the MBR capable of something like that?

Anyway, I'll be getting a student loan check pretty soon and even if they bring something new out out NAMM, I think I'm gonna get a MBR. I just spent $400+ on BOOKS-why not get something I want. If for nothing else, I need an MP3 player-lol. Also, I don't think, even in this fast paced hi-tech era, that the MBR will soon be obsolete.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BossMicroBRew

To be honest, I shouldn't bash Zoom too much. I've had a 505 for about 10 years. It sits in the closet, but at least I know it works. Too, I guess that 505 is old technology. I am sure their newer equipment and the H4n sounds much nicer.

The only thing is, I have heard that Zoom support is lacking. That is not my opinion, though, just hearsay. I'd at least like to fiddle around with it to see what it can do, etc.

Kody

I remember when I was 15, I got a Zoom 1010 for my birthday. I just had to have it, too. It was cool for awhile, being my first effects pedal. But, it didn't last very long. It turned out to be a flimsy piece of crap that you couldn't even step on-which is crucial for a being a FOOT pedal. Come to think of it- it sounded like crap, too.hahha!

I've heard lately that Zoom has come a long way, but I guess I would have to experience it hands-on before I would buy. Samson and Hartke are part of Zoom tech and I love Samson. I have a Samson condenser that is built like a tank!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: Acoustick_NE on January 13, 2009, 07:33:54 PMI remember when I was 15, I got a Zoom 1010 for my birthday. But, it didn't last very long. It turned out to be a flimsy piece of crap that you couldn't even step on-

WHOA! I haven't heard of the 1010 forever! Brings back some great memories of a friend of mine stomping on that used piece of "equipment." We always thought it was like stomping on the top of a shoe box.

You've got to admit it offered a lot for the price back then...except for the bypass feature that sounded like stuffing an acoustic with cotton.

These posts inspired me to add this...
http://microrecorders.org/community/general-discussion-b8/my-first-effects-pedal-was/0/