Main Menu

Throat-singing

Started by 64Guitars, December 30, 2011, 02:17:45 PM

Blooby

Check out David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir.  The disc Harmonic Meetings is quite a trip.

Farrell Jackson

A few years ago I did a collaboration with with a couple of songwriters with each person contributing certain tracks. I had the duties of gathering and mixing all of them. One of the fellows sent me his raspy lead vocal track to the rock song we had written. When I listened to it there was a distinct octave vocal there also but he had just done the one take. It wasn't audible in the mix but when soloed out the two notes were easily heard. That was my first experience with throat singing...he didn't even know he was doing it. I didn't know what it was called but an internet search enlightened me.

The youtube examples of the Russian throat singer are incredible with the drone note, a rhythm, and then a melody on top of those.......amazing!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hilary

i can make my  daughter's radiator in her room ring a note with the resonance in my voice in a certain range - does that count? Also if I'm singing in the kitchen, my daughter complains her bedroom floor vibrates! I've tried to catch the radiator singing on video but can't capture it!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Daniel Storey

Haylie, the vibrating radiator is resonanting, the same theory that would shatter a wine glass... Everything/everywhere in the universe has a natural resonance, even any space you gig in. When doing a gig, if you leave a flat EQ and raise the volume until you get feedback, basically you are exposing the resonance of the room. It's to do with physics, standing waves and such... Once you get the feedback, sweep through the EQ with a huge cut... You should then find out what frequency the room is resonating. Very useful to know, as now you can turn up all the other frequencies some more :)

The room will act as a natural amplifier at this frequency, meaning you need less volume of that frequency coming out of the PA speakers. This is the ONE thing i try to explain to stupid arse so called sound engineers that constantly bleed my ears dry with mids that are multiplying in the room and simply taking over.......

Most of whom are scared to get feedback. In my opinion, if you want to maximise the quality and volume of sound in a venue. Feedback is your best friend, the first thing i do is warn people, "sorry, we are now going to have some feedback"

Sorry this is totally off topic, but its a Saturday morning rant :P
recorder
Boss BR-80

You can find me on facebook if you like my sounds = Danielstoreymusic

"There is a tale to be told about the outside world."

Hilary

Hi Daniel, I haven't got the hang of EQing yet although it is fairly high on my very long To Do List. I usually have a sound engineer too which is quite fortunate as I really don't have a clue. All I specify is that you can hear the words clearly otherwise I might as well go home. I see you are doing well from your Facebook page. Take care xh
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Boognish

Okay to cover.