Experimenting with an Irish sound.

Started by jackofall, January 07, 2009, 06:33:07 AM

jackofall

irish
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a dead easy chord progression in an attempt to find something like an irish sound. I'm left with the uneasy feeling again that I've heard something like it before... 

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Oldrottenhead

S0MET1ME
Time:
Volume:
hi jackofall

this i really lovely, reminded me off the misty scottish hills, that i can see out of my window right now, also reminded me of the yorkshire dales, where at about this time of the year many moons ago, about 1984 or 5 i spent two weeks on an outward bound course organised by my work, it was titled "developing your team leadership skills" but should have been titled "take a deep look at yourself in the mirror" was heavy stuff, grown men breaking down into floods of tears, hallucinating due to lack of sleep and at the end of it all you  found out a whole lot about yourself etc etc, anyway was a really happy and enlightening experience for me and was shortly after a divorce, as a result i wrote a song "sometimes it happens" which was happy/melancohly in equal measures, so as the music reminded me of that time i thougt i woyuld try and fit the lyric from that song after some tweaking i think it fits. hope you dont mind but here is my first go at it.
oh aye its in a scottish accent i cannea dae irish accents  hope you like.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

That's beautiful, ORH. Really moving actually. And a perfect fit as always - as if it was written like that originally. Great work guys - this really works as an Irish / Scottish hybrid. It has the same kind of feel as 'Fields of Gold', but it's more emotional. I can see it working well on a film...  :)

jackofall

What a great surprise! I never even thought of it as a song, now it's obvious- it's a song! thanks so much for that. It's so good. Can you post the lyrics ORH? And shall we say 50:50 for the royalties and film rights?
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Oldrottenhead

50/50 its a deal lol.
heres the lyrics, tho i wouldnt mind if you could do it again with a one or two bar intro as its hard to time vox as it just starts.

you can hear the original song here

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2575169[soundclick]2575169[/soundclick]
 and a version done on my mbr when i first got it

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5137640[soundclick]5137640[/soundclick]

heres the wurdz.

when the world's asleep
all alone in your dreams
time....it still ticks away

when you've reached your peak
and it's all downhill
and the moment...fades away

when you scaled that hill
and it felt so good
as you bathed in the light of the day

well sometimes it happens you feel this way
but sometimes you just feel the pain

when you first felt love
and it made you high
and the words they just couldn't say

and there's times i've cried
just through happiness
I wish i always... felt that way

when you scaled that hill
and it felt so good
as you bathed in the light of the day

sometimes it happens you feel this way
but sometimes you just feel the pain
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

jackofall

What can I say? The words are just perfect and fit the mood exactly - uncanny! Anyone out there who could promote it?

I'll try it again with an intro and less 'busyness' so there's room for your voice. Never thought this forum could be this much fun!

Ferryman

Very good indeed. The words fit so well it's amazing they weren't written for the music. The work on this site continues to impress me a lot.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

hooper

I like that a lot.  One of those hauntingly beautiful kinda songs.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

SteveG

That was lovely, you have made something special here guys, nice one!

jackofall

sometimes
Time:
Volume:
Hi, Oldrottenhead...here's what I've done with it. There's an introduction. The voice comes in when the steel string guitar comes in. It should be obvious. After the first 'sometimes you just feel the pain', I've put in the guitar solo/duo bit and you come back in after that. After the second 'pain', I do the guitar bit again before it finishes. I think it needs a bass guitar, but I was scared of messing it all up by bouncing tracks. Anyway, I hope it works, hope you like it. It's always difficult to do something twice. Does it speed up a bit? That's always my problem.