Would you help me choosing the right MTR recorder?

Started by FedericoC, December 13, 2011, 04:35:59 AM

FedericoC

Hi songcrafters, I'm a new user from Europeland and I'd appreciate if you could help me to choose the right MTR digital recorder. I've searched and read tons of stuff in the forums in the last few days, and it has been quite helpful, but I'd like a direct suggestion.

So, my needs: I need recording keyboards and/or iPhone / iPad software (line-in stuff, in a word) and some acoustic instruments (mainly harmonicas and wood instruments); I don't play bass or guitar.

I want to be able to record a few tracks (I think 4 should be enough in general), mix and bounce them completely in the device: that includes adding effects (mainly a good reverb). I want to be able to record dry and apply reverb later... bonus point for being able to hear reverb while recording dry :-); it must work on batteries and have decent storage so I can actually use it on the go.

I want the internal microphone to be good enough to record a decent sound, and an external mic input (I don't care much whether is phantom powered or not, as I'd buy a new dedicated microphone of the appropriate type for that).

I absolutely need to be able to hear in headphones / monitor previously recorded track while recording a new one (i.e.: I want to record bass / drums then do some improv on them using an harmonica); importing external audio (mp3 or wav/ aiff) is a must as well.

Other stuff, like drum machines and such could be nice to have but I don't really need them.

My target price cap is around 300€, but I'd like to spend less if possible, of course  ;D

From what I've seen my options are Micro-BR, Micro-BR BR-80, Zoom H4n or Alesis IODock for iPad (which I already own)... but I see each one of the devices has some cons (especially about effects application) and I'm not able to understand if they could hinder my intended usage so... any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-- Federico

Flash Harry

Federico.

The MicroBr will do all of that. They are priced very competitively at the moment since being superceded by the BR80. Don't let that put you off, they are simple to use and powerful little boxes.

Buy a mains power pack for it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

FedericoC

Thanks, Harry!

In principle I'd be happy to spend a few more bucks to have a better product.
But from what I've seen the only useful things the BR-80 has for my kind of usage is more tracks, and support for largest SD, but if I've understood correctly reverb and effects management is worse...

Also, I wonder how the BR-80 stereo microphone compares with the mono one of the old micro...

-- Federico

Oldrottenhead

i have a friend in a similar situation, i advised him either the original micro br or the br80, the micro br is no longer being made and is getting harder to get a hold of, i noticed prices are slowly creeping back up. not long ago you could pick one up with headphones thrown in for £99 sterling, now they seem to cost more than their original rrp of circa £145 sterling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boss-Micro-BR-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000JJSABS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323781018&sr=8-1

i have a microbr but will hopefully be getting a br80 soon. i will be holding onto my microbr, but the prospect of built in stereo mics and 8  tracks (not counting all the v tracks) looks very promising, and from what i see there are more effects available than there is on the micro br.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

Micro Br  or MBR..

Both are Amazing little bits of tech that have changed my life for ever.

Get the BR80 if you can afford it (Just for the 8 tracks and the easy EQ. Sonar LE is included to!!). But the 1st MBR is Just as easy to use and will do you proud!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

FedericoC

Thanks all for your input!

Zoom surely doesn't seem to have a good reputation around here, mh? What is it you don't like of those recorders?

-- Federico

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: FedericoC on December 14, 2011, 01:40:30 AMThanks all for your input!

Zoom surely doesn't seem to have a good reputation around here, mh? What is it you don't like of those recorders?

-- Federico

this site started originally as a forum for micro br users, so we are probably a bit biased lol, tho  there are now a wider range of users and not exclusively microbr users.

for me and a lot of people here the micro br has become more than an MTR a bit of a life changer in fact.

i'm sure there are folk here who use other brands hopefully they can throw in some advice too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

FedericoC

That explains everything!  ;D ;D ;D
Sorry: I didn't know about that bit of history, as I've only recently discovered this site while reading stuff about the MTR recorder I want to buy.

-- Federico

maxit

ciao federico, benvenuto, qualsiasi cosa tu scelga ;-)

anche io ero indeciso tra zoom e BR - credo che comprerò quest'ultimo prima o poi perchè, anche se non ha il microfono a condensatore come lo zoom, il microfono che ha va molto bene come sento in questo sito. Ciao!
recorder
Audacity

FedericoC

Ciao a te... stavo proprio per risponderti su un altro topic ;D

Actually I believe the new BR-80 does have a stereo condenser mic on board... I'm just not sure if its quality is the same of the Zoom's; judging from the few clips I've found one soundscape Zoom's sounds  better.

-- Federico