Any regularly gigging Songcrafters out there?

Started by Blooby, December 06, 2011, 07:01:30 PM

chip

Quote from: Tony W on December 15, 2011, 09:43:16 AMI have my second gig on on Saturday WOOT. I'm scared shitless, and excited as hell. I love this feeling. I learned a valuable lesson last night, our lead guitarist asked me if my neck and shoulders get sore while I'm playing. The answer was: sometimes yes. He was teaching me a song, and I was stiff as a board, elbow locked and extended, muscles tighter than a drum. I was then told to play it as loosely as possible, and not only did I sound better, I felt such relief through my entire body.

Good advice that. I often play for hours with the LP round me neck but can't feel it during or after
playing...... I still get a little nervy before going on but once the first songs out the way I'm usually
 flying from then on. I tend to move around alot when performing, I just love it. Suppose I'm lucky
but it helps to be an extrovert. Being the one who has to sing and talk to the audience you have
to be confident in what you are doing but also layed back too. I play Friday in what will be my last
 performance with the current 'originals' band so I can concentrate on the money making band.
 ( covers) I haven't told them yet though, any ideas on what I can say? I simply have no time for both
so decided the band that earns nowt but is alot of stoned drunken fun must go. Nevermind.:(
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Tony W

Quote from: chip on December 15, 2011, 12:46:54 PM
Quote from: Tony W on December 15, 2011, 09:43:16 AMI have my second gig on on Saturday WOOT. I'm scared shitless, and excited as hell. I love this feeling. I learned a valuable lesson last night, our lead guitarist asked me if my neck and shoulders get sore while I'm playing. The answer was: sometimes yes. He was teaching me a song, and I was stiff as a board, elbow locked and extended, muscles tighter than a drum. I was then told to play it as loosely as possible, and not only did I sound better, I felt such relief through my entire body.

Good advice that. I often play for hours with the LP round me neck but can't feel it during or after
playing...... I still get a little nervy before going on but once the first songs out the way I'm usually
 flying from then on. I tend to move around alot when performing, I just love it. Suppose I'm lucky
but it helps to be an extrovert. Being the one who has to sing and talk to the audience you have
to be confident in what you are doing but also layed back too. I play Friday in what will be my last
 performance with the current 'originals' band so I can concentrate on the money making band.
 ( covers) I haven't told them yet though, any ideas on what I can say? I simply have no time for both
so decided the band that earns nowt but is alot of stoned drunken fun must go. Nevermind.:(

Got a Wife? they are the best excuse in the world....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Hmm, I have no advice that would help you guys except for pointing out that your improvisational talents will help you tremendously during the "hour of power". I'm sure there are other names for it, but for me it's an hour before the joint closes. You've no doubt burned out your well practiced numbers, riding through the home stretch and all of a sudden thirty tipsy men and women are staring at you looking for some noise. Any noise - And if you do not act fast enough, there will be requests for songs you do not know ranging from Pantera to Jimmy Buffett depending on the establishment. 

This is where I think you both will excel - The living room jams have given you tons of ammo to make them remember you when they wake up the following morning. Please record that hour of power. I want to hear it!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Hook

QuoteAnd if you do not act fast enough, there will be requests for songs you do not know ranging from Pantera to Jimmy Buffett depending on the establishment.   

I try to learn a song or two from as many acts as I can...dammit now I have to learn some Pantera!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ferryman

My only advice? Dress like the singer in this picture. That's me in the background on guitar btw, it was most off putting when this vocalist came on stage.......

Seriously though, have fun, be prepared and be professional. It doesn't matter how good you are, if there are silly things going wrong then the audience will get annoyed. If you look (and sound) like you know what you are doing, the audience will be happy.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Quote from: Ferryman on December 16, 2011, 07:44:28 AMDress like the singer in this picture.

Good advice. I try to dress like that for every gig.

But then my wife stops me from leaving the house.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tony W

It takes a very unique personality to wear an outfit like that. I think I could rock it with my protruding stomach, covered in hair.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Rata-tat-tat

Blooby... I really don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Since you have never done this duet type of thing... I would treat each gig as a learning experience. Take note of what songs did good and which songs didn't recieve much attention. I know it sucks to throw songs off of the set list since you've spent so much time learning and polishing the material. In the past we have put those songs that didn't do so well toward the beginning of the evening and hit them with the more popular/ listenable stuff toward the end... (GO OUT WITH A BANG). Seem'd to work for us.

Also as mentioned... levels are very important. Patrons should be able to hold a conversation at their respective tables without having to yell at each other.

Bottom line have fun with it... a smiling guitar player is a happy guitar player... even when they are frowning on the inside.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Blooby

Thank you, all, for your words of wisdom.  There is some really good stuff in your posts.

I have been bumped to February, so I have a bit more time to practice and think about your advice.  I was a bit sad, but maybe it will work out for the best.  This time of year is a hard time for folks to get together to practice.

Happy holidays.

Blooby

Tony W

Great News! I didn't have to fist anyone at the gig on Saturday!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR