Any regularly gigging Songcrafters out there?

Started by Blooby, December 06, 2011, 07:01:30 PM

Blooby

John and I scored our first gig, and my nerves have already started to some degree.  It looks to be three hours in January in a local restaurant (low-key kind of place).  When asking the guy who booked us if we could "get odd," he encouraged us to do so.  There may be some Thumbjam/Kaossialtor weirdness afoot.  I am also trying to work up a version of "Kashmir" on acoustic, backed by the tanpura and tabla of iTabla.  We'll see.

I know Tharek and Greeny have been gigging, but I wasn't sure about other folks. Basically, I am looking for sage advice...known pitfalls, pacing, song selection...anything that will help.  It's just acoustic guitar with a loop pedal and couple effects along with John's voice.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Blooby

T.C. Elliott

My best advice is to have fun. In a restaurant you are often in the background for many patrons so don't be bummed out if you don't get a lot of attention. That doesn't meant they don't like what you are doing. And at the end of the three hours the only audience that will have stayed the whole time is the staff or someone who you've REALLY impressed. That means you can get away with a few things you might not at different venues.
We are only playing out about once every 6-8 weeks now but back in the cover band days I can tell you the best gigs we had were the ones we had fun. The worst ones were the ones where we didn't have fun. And I made more mistakes at the fun gigs but no-one gave a damn because... you guessed it, we were having fun. And by we I mean the whole place.

Best of luck, I know you'll do great.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Tony W

I had either assumed or presumed you've gigged before. If you have not, then I'm about a gig and a half ahead of you, though musically you're light years ahead of me.

Here's the one tip that I wish somebody had given me, practice not only like you're in front of a crowd, but interacting with them. I was told that I didn't look like I was having fun, which set the mood for those listening. The truth was, I was so worried about screwing up, that I looked like somebody just shit in my guitar case. I'm not exactly Mr. Sparkling personality to begin with. Hell, even Gnasty said I looked like Stone Cold Steve Austin, which I take as a compliment, however he's a constantly pissed off Redneck.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Thanks, guys.  I have gigged before, but it has been years and never in duo format.  I think that is what is niggling at me.  Tony, I will take your advice to heart. I am by nature an introvert, so I tend to focus on the job at hand.

Blooby

Bluesberry

The way I see it, its John who is going to get most of the attention.  If he sings as well as he can and I assume he is fairly dynamic when he sings, moving around a bit, arm movemements, etc.  Every eye in the place (those who are paying atterntion) will be on him.  The only folks looking at you are the few guitar wanks in the place trying to figure out just what the hell you are doing.......like many of us on here have done over the years......"what the hell is he playing, is that some weird modal scale...how does he do that with just two hands.....I wish I could get a good look at his hands"  so they will only really be looking at your hands anyway, and it will only be a handful of folks.  The vast majority of the audience will be glued to John's every sung note.  You two (and your looper pedal) will rock this joint, you guys will kill them.  If John sings as well as he does in your living room it will be a very good show.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

Yeah you guys are going to do great. Every room is different but here in Tampa 85% of the time you are just background music, the great listening rooms (coffee shops, etc) never pay well. Applause can be little or often none so don't let that take away from your energy, the trick is to play as if they love you regardless of their reaction. You are in no way (most of the time) more important than their conversation. I gig with a loop station ( boss rx20) and I loop guitars, percussion and vocals (plug a mic into that thing!) and the loop station does get some pretty positive responses, make sure to clear it after every song, nothing sucks worse than going to solo over the loop of the verse of "Last Dance with Mary Jane" and realizing it's still "Home Sweet Home". Have fun and if you mess up remember that most people won't/don't notice.
I'm a big introvert also, I've always liked to say that "I want to be in front of the people but not amongst them." I often disappear on my breaks into my car and read. It's funny how we end up doing the things we do. Now that I perform mostly for kids the rewards are way bigger than in bars and clubs. The kids listen and respond and don't really care if it's something they now or something new as long as it's fun, adults are a much more selfish audience so once again don't let them dictate your gig, just have fun and play well, and smile while you sing!
Rock on guys!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Hi Blooby....as you can see by most of the replies, the common advice is to have some fun at the gig. A very important point...have fun with it. The reaction from the audience will be minimal but that's not your fault. The reason most are at the restaurant is to chow down....not to hear or see your duo but you are a an added benefit in the background. Don't get too loud......folks want to have conversation. So start at a lower volume because you can always turn it up later....but not the other way around....it's hard to turn down because it takes away your energy.  If/when you make a mistake never acknowledge it....the crowd won't hear it or mind unless you draw attention to it. Subtly interact with your bandmate.....positive head nods, gestures, and smiles shows you two are in sync and having fun. One easy thing to do is smile....that was something I had to work on because I tend to keep a serious face when concentrating.....I saw a few videos of performances and realized I didn't look like I was enjoying myself, even though I was. Smile and the audience will pick up on it. If either of you aren't good (yet) at verbal interaction with the crowd between songs, don't have a lot of dead time. Keep the time between songs to a minimum. Sometimes I string 3 or 4 songs together for that very reason.

Lastly, before you start the gig....go in with the positive thought that no matter what, they will love you....because they will.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

T.C. Elliott

I read some advice on stage patter... speaking... that said go ahead and say something if you have something to say but if you don't, shut up and play.  Don't feel obligated to say much of anything.

If you get some people being real attentive then start with titles and writers of the songs. But again, don't feel you have to fill space with talk. Usually it comes off like someone is filling space with talk.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

pjd1

Hi Blooby just jumped onto this thread , i gig a couple of times a month sometimes more , just a few things for you that i have found over the years have out me in good stead ! all of the above by the way , know you equipment back to front guitars amps pedals , mics etc .. always have spare leads , spare guitar , strings, plecks, small tool kit , dont leave anything to chance !! but above all know your songs , any lead breaks , words , and use the moto if it can go wrong it will !

Good luck and keep us informed !

Dunny   
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Pipes

Hi there...

all the comments are good, but i particularly liked what Farrell had to say:)

..so not much more to add really...apart from....

Being nervous before any performance is natural..so expect to be, it's just that some poeple show it more than others:)(me being included) but i also show some great big smiles too!!!:) Hats of to you for doing gigs, as it's really enjoyable..expect it to be enjoyable!..and it will be:)

I play in a Cafe/bar every Friday..just me on little ol acoustic(with vox) and marcin- keyboard player..sometimes we don't get any claps..but that's because in a cafe type establishment..people are there for chatting and catching up with thier friends...The back ground music is welcome too!!..but as Farrell said don't let it be too overpowering:)just have the blendability factor there and they will love it!

Have fun and they will......and don't take it too heart if you have  unresponsive clientel... Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!

ps.. sometimes i play Bongos with groovy backing tracks...i love it for sure!!:) they do too..especially my daughter Tereska ( my no:1 fan)... hence my recent profile pic... ha ha ha

Nick