Loop pedals. Looking for some input.

Started by Blooby, December 06, 2011, 05:47:04 PM

Blooby

I'm selling off my old Boss RC-20XL in order to upgrade (I want an undo/redo feature as well as some memory locations).  I am leaning toward the Boss RC-30, but the videos I have found on it have not been too revealing (although the one from Anderton's is pretty funny). Anybody have any experience with this loop pedal or any other that I should seriously consider?  Your input is appreciated.

Blooby

Bluesberry

I just ordered the Boss RC-300 so I am no good to ask about loopers.  Do not get the RC-30, get either the RC-3 or the RC-300.  From what I read the RC-30 is not much of an upgrade from the 20xl and people like the 20xl better.  But the RC-300.........all the hype is true, the new king of looper pedals.  There is not too much info out there yet, they are just trickling out to market this week, but I read the manual and Have watched the few that are out there, and man-o-man, I just couldn't hold back the GAS.  RC-300 is the only way to go if you want a Boss looper from the way I see it.  I have a RC-2 and so have no desire to get a RC-3.  I love the idea of 3 independent looping channels.  The RC-30 has two channels but they are not independent, they have to be the same length as each other.....and the effects on the RC-30 are cheesy.  The RC-300 has totally usable effects that are very flexible in how they get assigned.  IT is the new daddy of looper pedals. Have a look at these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cogeD_DsF-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzbPJoDAlRg

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Thanks for the heads up, BB.  I pulled my RC-20 off the market until I can make a better informed decision.  The 300 looks ridiculously cool, but I don't have the coin for such a beast.  I think it maybe overkill for my needs as well.  There are a couple spots where I want a short chord progression to solo or play melody over.  I have been doing that live, but I'm not 100 % accurate, so I thought the memory locations would help.  Other times, I'll just set up a drone and reverse it for padding or noodling. I don't that I would ever construct significant song parts with it, but I haven't yet really delved in too deeply.

I will have to think about this some more.  Maybe I'll wait till after Winter Namm to see if anything new springs up.

Blooby

Hook

I'm so very jealous BB. I want that thing so bad, I can't wait for you to let us know about it! I want 3 separate loops. What I don't like about mine is when you stop, everything stops. I loop guitar, percussion and vocals and would love to stop just the vocals, or one part of the loop instead of it all, and pop it back in later. Oh well it's too rich for my blood right now!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

SdC

I've got the RC-50. Since I got it, I can't stop creating loops and jamming. Using the guitar synth, I can create a backing track in seconds without putting down the strat. My goal and ambition with it is to create a 30 minute one-man-band live set. The 3 channels really work great to make a song dynamic.
It is also the reason I have not been recording full songs on the BR since I got it. It's just too addictive.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bluesberry

Hey SDC, thanks for the schematic.  I am trying to think about how to set up for the RC-300.  I want to do basically the same thing that you are doing with your RC-50.  Live looping and record the results as I am creating.  I am very excited to get my machine and get at it.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

You folks are insane...

INSANE I tell you!!!

Bluesberry

Hey Blooby, now that the RC-300 is finally out, I bet you can pick up a RC-50 for a very good price, and they are a fantastic unit.  Maybe that is what you should consider doing.  Probably not much more than a new RC-30.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SdC

Yeah that would be a great option. The RC-50 will do everything you'd need (3 channel/undo/patch storage)

recorder
Boss BR-600

Hook

QuoteHey Blooby, now that the RC-300 is finally out, I bet you can pick up a RC-50 for a very good price, and they are a fantastic unit.  Maybe that is what you should consider doing.  Probably not much more than a new RC-30.
Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely